This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Plasma big-endothelin (BE) in 12 patients with acute severe ischemic stroke was studied. Six patients developed complete supratentorial infarctions, and six patients had severe infarctions of pons, cerebellum, and/or medulla. Significant elevations of BE during the first 2 weeks after the initial stroke and significant differences between the pathophysiological subgroups of stroke did not occur. Only patients with a poor outcome showed significant elevations of BE in contrast to patients with a better prognosis (p ≤ 0.05). Patients with supratentorial infarctions demonstrated a tendency of higher BE levels than patients with infratentori-al stroke (p ≤ 0.07). These results support the theory that endothelins represent the amount of damaged cerebral tissue rather than the endothelium leakage. Low endothelin concentrations may play a role in local vasodilation and reperfusion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A novel potent vasoconstrictor peptide produced by vascular endothelial cells.Nature. 1988; 332: 411-415
- The endothelin explosion: a pathophysiological reality or a biological curiosity.Circulation. 1990; 81: 2022-2025
- Endothelins and the nervous system.Neurology. 1992; 42: 25-31
- Influence of endothelin on piglet cerebral microcirculation.Am J Physiol. 1989; 257: H707-H710
- Cerebral microvessels endothelium is producing endothelin.Brain Res. 1990; 508: 283-285
- Endothelin in brain: receptors, mitogenesis and biosynthesis in glial cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1990; 87: 2359-2363
- Increased plasma endothelin-1 in acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 1992; 23: 1014-1016
- Endothelin immuno-reactivity in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with subarachnoid haemorrhage.Ann Med. 1990; 22: 233-236
- Increased plasma concentrations of endothelin-1 and big-endo-thelin-1 in acute myocardial infarction.Lancet. 1989; 335: 53-54
- Radioimmunoassay of immuno-reactive C-terminal big endothelin.Eur J Clin Chan Clin Biochem. 1991; 29: 147-150
- Endothelin and big endothelin concentrations in injured patients.Lancet. 1991; 337: 1518
- Increased endothelin concentration in CSF from patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage.Acta Neurol Scand. 1990; 81: 553-554
- The role of endothelin-1 in the origin of cerebral vasospasm in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.J Neurosurg. 1992; 77: 96-100
- Absence of elevation of bigendothelin in subarachnoid hemorrhage.Stroke. 1993; 24: 383-386
- Endothelin in plasma and cerebrospinal fluid of patients with subarachnoid haemorrhage.Lancet. 1990; 336: 633
- Effect of endothelin on cortical microvascular perfusion in rats.Stroke. 1990; 21: 451-458
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.