Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Coronary heart disease statistics 2012 edition.British Heart Foundation, London2012
- Stroke and disability.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2004; 13: 171-177
Trend data (adults). Pew Internet & American Life Project. Available at: http://www.pewinternet.org/Trend-Data-%28Adults%29/Online-Activites-Total.aspx. 2012. Accessed March 1, 2013.
Fox S, Duggan M. Health online 2013. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Available at: http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Health-online/Summary-of-Findings.aspx 15 Jan 2013. Accessed January 19, 2013.
- Who searches the Internet for health information?.HSR: Health Services Research. 2008; 41: 819-836
Office for National Statistics. Internet access—households and individuals 2012. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_275775.pdf. August 2012, Accessed January 19, 2013.
- Health literacy: report of the Council on Scientific Affairs.JAMA. 1999; 281: 552-557
- Low health literacy and health outcomes: an updated systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 155: 97-107
- Health literacy among Medicare enrolees in a managed care organization.JAMA. 1999; 281: 545-551
- The skills for life survey: a national needs and impact survey of literacy, numeracy and ICT skills.Department for education and skills, London2003
- Association between low functional health literacy and mortality in older adults: longitudinal cohort study.BMJ open. 2012; 344: e1602
- The prevalence of limited health literacy.J Gen Intern Med. 2005; 20: 175-184
- The Health Literacy of America’s Adults: results from the 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NCES 2006–483).US Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, Washington, DC2006
- Analysis of stroke patients’ and carers’ reading ability and the content and design of written materials: recommendations for improving written stroke information.Patient Educ Counsel. 2006; 60: 286-293
- National action plan to improve health literacy. US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Washington, DC2010
- An assessment of the quality of Information on stroke and speech and language difficulty websites.J Information Sci. 2013; 39: 113-125
Healthcare WebWatch 2012: an analysis of web activity in the health and medical sector. Private Healthcare UK website. Available at: http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/aboutus/webwatch-2012. Accessed January 19, 2013.
- How to write in plain English.Harper and Row, New York1979
- Temptations of the Flesch.Instr Sci. 1974; 2: 367-384
- SMOG grading: a new readability formula.J Reading. 1969; 12: 639-646
Tests document readability, readability calculator. Online utility-org website. Available at: http://www.online-utility.org/english/readability_test_and_improve.jsp. Accessed February 6, 2013.
- A readability assessment of online Parkinson's disease information.J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 2010; 40: 292-296
- Patient information on Schizophrenia on the internet.Psychiatrist. 2008; 32: 409-411
- A health literacy assessment of the epilepsy.com website.Seizure. 2009; 18: 434-439
- Readability of online patient education materials from the AAOS web site.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008; 466: 1245-1250
- The quality of websites addressing fibromyalgia: an assessment of quality and readability using standardised tools.BMJ Open. 2011; 1: e000152
- Assessing the quality, suitability and readability of internet-based health information about warfarin for patients.Austr Med J. 2012; 5: 194-203
- The gap between patient reading comprehension and the readability of patient education materials.J Fam Pract. 1990; 31: 533-538
- Anticoagulant patient information material is written at high readability levels.Stroke. 2000; 31: 2966-2970
- Quality of web based information on inflammatory bowel diseases.Inflammatory Bowel Dis. 2009; 15: 1891-1896
- Evaluation of web sites that provide information on Alzheimer’s disease.Health Informatics J. 2003; 9: 17-31
- Development and application of a tool designed to evaluate web sites providing information on Alzheimer’s disease.J Information Sci. 2003; 29: 279-297
- Assessing the quality of web sites providing information on multiple sclerosis: evaluating tools and comparing sites.Health Information J. 2007; 13: 207-221
- Breast cancer on the world wide web: cross sectional survey of quality of information and popularity of web sites.Br Med J. 2002; 324: 577-581
- Stroke education materials on the world wide web: an evaluation of their quality and suitability.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2004; 11: 29-40
Center for Health Care Strategies. Health literacy fact sheets. Available at: http://www.chcs.org/publications3960/publications_show.htm?doc_id=291711. Accessed March 8, 2013.
National Institutes of Health. How to write easy to read health materials. Available at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/etr.html. Accessed March 8, 2013.
Sources of funding: None.