To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of stent placement for ruptured or unruptured middle cerebral artery (MCA) aneurysms in a larger number.
Between October 2003 and December 2012, data for 70 patients with 72 complex MCA aneurysms treated with stents at our institution were retrospectively collected and analyzed.
Eighty-five stents were successfully deployed in this series. However, failure of followed coiling was encountered in 2 (2.8%) tiny aneurysms of them. Of the 63 aneurysms treated with stent-assisted coiling, complete occlusion was achieved in 22 (34.9%), neck remnant in 15 (23.8%), and residual sac in 26 (36.5%). Of the 9 aneurysms treated with stent alone, the results were contrast stasis in 3 aneurysms and no change in 6. Procedure-related complications occurred in 9 (12.5%) procedures, including 7 of 27 (25.9%) with ruptured aneurysms and 2 of 45 (4.4%) with unruptured aneurysms, which resulted in 1 death and 5 disabilities. Univariate and multivariate analyses show that ruptured aneurysm is an independent factor for the outcome of these patients (odds ratio, 7.35; 95% confidence interval, 1.35-40.0). Angiographic follow-up results (mean, 10.5 ± 8.8 months) showed that 72.1% (44 of 61) were completely occluded, 4.9% (3 of 61) recurred, and others were stable or had improved. Intrastent stenosis was observed in 1 (1.6%) patient, which was managed conservatively. During a clinical follow-up period ranging from 7 to 113 months (mean, 33.0 ± 22.4 months), 1 disabled patient died from severe pneumonia, whereas the clinical status of the others had improved or was stable. Procedure-related morbidity/mortality during the follow-up for the ruptured and unruptured groups were 3.7%/3.7% and 0/0, respectively.
Our study shows that stent placement for the treatment of certain wide-neck MCA aneurysms is feasible, safe, and effective. However, stent placement for acutely ruptured MCA aneurysms harbors a much higher complication rate.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) of neurosurgical clipping versus endovascular coiling in 2143 patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a randomised trial.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1267-1274
- Endovascular treatment of middle cerebral artery aneurysms: a systematic review and single-center series.Neurosurgery. 2011; 68: 397-402
- Endovascular coil occlusion of 152 middle cerebral artery aneurysms: initial and midterm angiographic and clinical results.J Neurosurg. 2010; 112: 703-708
- Endovascular treatment with coils of 149 middle cerebral artery berry aneurysms.Radiology. 2005; 237: 611-619
- Endovascular treatment of 174 middle cerebral artery aneurysms: clinical outcome and radiologic results at long-term follow-up.Radiology. 2009; 253: 191-198
- Stent-assisted embolization of 100 middle cerebral artery aneurysms.J Neurosurg. 2013; 118: 950-955
- Stent-assisted coiling of complex middle cerebral artery aneurysms: initial and midterm results.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011; 32: 259-263
- Stent assisted coil embolization of unruptured middle cerebral artery aneurysms.J Neurointerv Surg. 2013; 5: 15-19
- Endovascular treatment of wide-neck middle cerebral artery aneurysms with stents: a review of 16 cases.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010; 31: 940-946
- Complications and adverse events associated with Neuroform stent-assisted coiling of wide-neck intracranial aneurysms.Neurol Res. 2011; 33: 841-852
- Potential advantages and limitations of the Leo stent in endovascular treatment of complex cerebral aneurysms.Eur J Radiol. 2011; 79: 317-322
- Improved delivery of the Neuroform 3 stent: technical note.J Neurointerv Surg. 2012; 4: 287-290
- Comparison of Enterprise with Neuroform stent-assisted coiling of intracranial aneurysms.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013; 200: 872-878
- A new self-expanding nitinol stent (Enterprise) for the treatment of wide-necked intracranial aneurysms: initial clinical and angiographic results in 31 aneurysms.Neuroradiology. 2007; 49: 555-561
- Y-configuration stent placement (crossing and kissing) for endovascular treatment of wide-neck cerebral aneurysms located at 4 different bifurcation sites.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2012; 33: 1310-1316
- Solitaire AB stent-assisted coiling of wide-necked intracranial aneurysms: short-term results from a prospective, consecutive, European multicentric study.Neuroradiology. 2013; 55: 1373-1378
- Analysis of closed-cell intracranial stent characteristics using cone-beam computed tomography with contrast material.Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). 2013; 53: 403-408
- Surgical clipping as the preferred treatment for aneurysms of the middle cerebral artery.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2011; 153: 2111-2117
- Surgical treatment of unruptured intracranial middle cerebral artery aneurysms: angiographic and clinical outcomes in 143 aneurysms.J Cerebrovasc Endovasc Neurosurg. 2012; 14: 289-294
- Outcome for middle cerebral artery aneurysm surgery.Neurosurgery. 2010; 67: 755-761
- Risk of hemorrhage in combined neuroform stenting and coil embolization of acutely ruptured intracranial aneurysms.Interv Neuroradiol. 2008; 14: 385-396
- Stent-assisted coil embolization of ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a retrospective multicenter review.Surg Neurol Int. 2012; 3: 84
- Wide-necked intracranial aneurysms: treatment with stent-assisted coil embolization during acute (<72 hours) subarachnoid hemorrhage—experience in 61 consecutive patients.Radiology. 2009; 253: 199-208
- Acutely ruptured intracranial saccular aneurysms treated with stent assisted coiling: complications and outcomes in 42 consecutive patients.J Neurointerv Surg. 2010; 2: 23-30
- Stent assisted coiling of the ruptured wide necked intracranial aneurysm.J Neurointerv Surg. 2012; 4: 281-286
- Endovascular treatment of acutely ruptured, wide-necked anterior communicating artery aneurysms using the Enterprise stent.J Clin Neurosci. 2013; 20: 267-271
- Surgical management of middle cerebral artery aneurysms.Neurosurgery. 2001; 48: 780-785
- Analysis of 561 patients with 690 middle cerebral artery aneurysms: anatomic and clinical features as correlated to management outcome.Neurosurgery. 1996; 38: 2-11
- Association of endovascular therapy of very small ruptured aneurysms with higher rates of procedure-related rupture.J Neurosurg. 2008; 108: 1088-1092
- Sixteen-year single-surgeon experience with coil embolization for ruptured intracranial aneurysms: recurrence rates and incidence of late rebleeding. Clinical article.J Neurosurg. 2011; 114: 863-874
- Retreatment of ruptured cerebral aneurysms in patients randomized by coiling or clipping in the International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT).Stroke. 2007; 38: 1538-1544
- Preliminary experience and short-term follow-up results of treatment of wide-necked or fusiform cerebral aneurysms with a self-expanding, closed-cell, retractable stent.J Clin Neurosci. 2010; 17: 837-841
- Results of endovascular treatment for intracranial wide-necked saccular and dissecting aneurysms using the Enterprise stent: a single center experience.Eur J Radiol. 2012; 81: 1179-1183
- Vascular geometry change because of endovascular stent placement for anterior communicating artery aneurysms.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011; 32: 1721-1725
Published online: April 28, 2014
Accepted: December 4, 2013
Received in revised form: November 14, 2013
Received: August 27, 2013
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81000494), the Dawn Project of Shanghai (11CG043), and the Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (10441901902).
© 2014 National Stroke Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.