Involvement of central nervous system is very common in Behçet disease, known as neuro-Behçet disease (NBD). However, there have been few reports which evaluated stroke-like cerebral small-vessel disease associated with Behçet disease.
We evaluated cerebral small-vessel lesions by using magnetic resonance imaging in 2 patients with NBD.
In a 41-year-old woman case, who developed dysarthria and left hemiparesis, diffusion-weighted images (DWI) showed small high-intensity areas in the bilateral internal capsule. The right lesion had a low apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) value, whereas the left one had a high value. In a 59-year-old woman case, who developed dysarthria and left hemihypesthesia, DWI showed high-intensity areas in the right side of the pons and in the right peduncle of the midbrain. The lesion in the pons had a low ADC value, whereas the lesion in the midbrain had a high value. ADC map may be useful to identify symptomatic lesions in the brain, because only the lesions with low ADC values were symptomatic.
NBD should be considered in those who had not had any risk factors for ischemic stroke but experienced cerebral small-vessel disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Involvement of nervous system in Behcet's syndrome.Arch Neurol. 1965; 12: 315-325
- Neuro-Behcet's disease.Clin Neuropathol. 1997; 16: 55-60
- Autopsy case of neuro-Behcet's disease with multifocal neutrophilic perivascular inflammation.Neuropathology. 2006; 26: 579-585
- Meningo-encephalitis of Behcet's disease: case report with pathological findings.Brain. 1963; 86: 151-160
- Cerebral venous thrombosis in Behcet's disease: clinical study and long-term follow-up of 25 cases.Neurology. 1992; 42: 614-618
- Cerebral vasculitis and ischaemic stroke in Behcet's disease: report of one case and review of the literature.Eur J Neurol. 2001; 8: 719-722
- Spontaneous dissection of the extracranial vertebral artery with spinal subarachnoid haemorrhage in a patient with Behcet's disease.Neuroradiology. 1993; 35: 352-354
- Vasculitis in Behcet's disease.Int Rev Immunol. 1997; 14: 81-88
- Neuro-Behcet's disease: analysis of apparent diffusion coefficients.Neuroradiology. 2003; 45: 524-527
Published online: June 26, 2015
Accepted: May 11, 2015
Received in revised form: May 5, 2015
Received: February 5, 2015
© 2015 National Stroke Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.