Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2013; 44: 870-947
- Phosphodiesterase 5A inhibitors improve functional recovery after stroke in rats: optimized dosing regimen with implications for mechanism.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009; 331: 842-850
- Sildenafil (Viagra) induces neurogenesis and promotes functional recovery after stroke in rats.Stroke. 2002; 33: 2675-2680
- Angiogenesis and improved cerebral blood flow in the ischemic boundary area detected by MRI after administration of sildenafil to rats with embolic stroke.Brain Res. 2007; 1132: 185-192
- The role of sildenafil in the treatment of stroke.Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2008; 9: 754-759
- Sildenafil: an orally active type 5 cyclic GMP specific phosphodiesterase inhibitor for the treatment of penile erectile dysfunction.Int J Impot Res. 1996; 8: 47-52
- Measurements of acute cerebral infarction: a clinical examination scale.Stroke. 1989; 20: 864-870
- Interobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients.Stroke. 1988; 19: 604-607
- Functional evaluation: the Barthel Index.Md State Med J. 1965; 14: 61-65
- Adult norms for the Box and Block Test for manual dexterity.Am J Occup Ther. 1985; 39: 386-391
- Repeatable Battery for the Assessment of Neuropsychological Status (RBANS).The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio: Harcourt, TX1998
- The assessment of visuo-spatial neglect after acute stroke.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1991; 54: 345-350
- Tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1581-1588
- Intravenous thrombolysis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator for acute hemispheric stroke. The European Cooperative Acute Stroke Study (ECASS).J Am Med Assoc. 1995; 274: 1017-1025
- Acute stroke therapy by inhibition of neutrophils (ASTIN) an adaptive dose-response study of UK-279,276 in acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2003; 34: 2543-2548
- The PHQ-8 as a measure of current depression in the general population.J Affect Disord. 2009; 114: 163-173
- Promoting brain remodelling and plasticity for stroke recovery: therapeutic promise and potential pitfalls of clinical translation.Lancet Neurol. 2012; 11: 369-380
Grant support: The study was sponsored and financed by Pfizer.
Disclosure of conflicts of interest: Jessica Mancuso, Phil Woodward, Martin Bednar, and Peter Loudon are employed by Pfizer; Franco Di Cesare, Leoben Research Ltd, provided medical and scientific consulting services that were funded by Pfizer.
The A9541004 Stroke Study Investigators Group: Bulgaria: Prof. Staykov, Dr. Petrova, Prof. Penkov Daskalov, Prof. Paraskeva Kostova Stamenova, Prof. Tsvetanov Georgiev, Dr. Naydenov; Canada: Dr. Siddiqui; Czech Republic: Dr. Mikulik, Dr. Polivka; France: Prof. Sibon, Prof. Samson; Germany: Prof. Weimar, Prof. Berrouschot, Dr. Hobohm, Dr. Ritter, Dr. Schlachetzki; Hungary: Dr. Szakacs, Dr. Panczel, Dr. Csanyi, Dr. Szabo, Dr. Ovary, Dr. Debreczeni; India: Dr. Anand Alurkar, Dr. Puneet Agarwal; Republic of Korea: Dr. Sun Uck Kwon, Prof. Dr. Byung-Woo Yoon, Dr. Kwang Ho Lee, Dr. Ji Hoe Heo, Dr. Hee-Joon Bae, Dr. Joung-Ho Rha, Dr. Joon-Tae Kim, Dr. Byung-Chul Lee; Taiwan: Dr. Jiann-Shing Jeng, Dr. Tsong-Hai Lee, Dr. Chung-Hsiang Liu, Dr. Chia-Wei Liou; United States: Dr. Fen-Lei Finland Chang, Dr. Jin-Moo Lee, Dr. Reichwein, Dr. Huang, Dr. Singhal, Dr. Chiu, Dr. Harris.