To evaluate the relationship between fiber bundle direction and changes in diffusion kurtosis, we evaluated the apparent diffusion kurtosis coefficients (AKCs) that were perpendicular to and parallel to the principal diffusion tensor eigenvector.
Materials and Methods
Adult male Wistar rats were subjected to 30 or 60 minutes of middle cerebral artery occlusion and imaged with a 7T Magnetic Resonance Imager System (Varian MRI System 7T/210: Agilent Technologies, CA). Diffusion kurtosis images were obtained before middle cerebral artery (MCA) reperfusion and 3, 6, and 24 hours after reperfusion to generate the apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC), fractional anisotropy (FA), mean apparent diffusion kurtosis coefficient (mAKC), AKC axial to the eigenvector (axAKC), and AKC radial to the eigenvector (radAKC) images. The time course of the region/normal ratio was evaluated for the above parameters in the caudoputamen and white matter.
Relative FA and relative ADC values decreased 3 hours after MCA reperfusion and remained decreased until 24 hours. Relative mAKC, axAKC, and radAKC values were increased 3 hours after MCA reperfusion, peaked after 6 hours, and slightly decreased after 24 hours. In the white matter, axAKC showed larger changes than radAKC.
The time course of the diffusion kurtosis value showed earlier pseudonormalization than the ADC value of the lesions. For white matter lesions, the increase in axAKC was larger than that in radAKC, suggesting that the tissue changes after infarction mainly produce reduced diffusivity along the fibers and lead to increased inhomogeneity of the diffusion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- MR imaging of intravoxel incoherent motions: application to diffusion and perfusion in neurologic disorders.Radiology. 1986; 161: 401-407
- Diffusion-weighted MR imaging of acute stroke: correlation with T2-weighted and magnetic susceptibility-enhanced MR imaging in cats.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1990; 11: 423-429
- Mechanism of detection of acute cerebral ischemia in rats by diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance microscopy.Stroke. 1992; 23: 746-754
- Changes in the diffusion of water and intracellular metabolites after excitotoxic injury and global ischemia in neonatal rat brain.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 1999; 19: 341-349
- Preliminary observations of increased diffusional kurtosis in human brain following recent cerebral infarction.NMR Biomed. 2011; 24: 452-457
- Diffusion tensor imaging analysis for psychiatric disorders.Magn Reson Med Sci. 2013; 12: 153-159
- Intersite reliability of diffusion tensor imaging on two 3T scanners.Magn Reson Med Sci. 2015; 14: 227-233
- Quantitative measurement and imaging of transport processes in plants and porous media by 1H NMR.Magn Reson Imaging. 1992; 10: 827-836
- Diffusion MRI of complex neural architecture.Neuron. 2003; 40: 885-895
- Mapping of fiber orientation in human internal capsule by means of polarized light and confocal scanning laser microscopy.J Neurosci Methods. 2000; 94: 165-175
- MRI quantification of non-Gaussian water diffusion by kurtosis analysis.NMR Biomed. 2010; 23: 698-710
- Diffusional kurtosis imaging: the quantification of non-Gaussian water diffusion by means of magnetic resonance imaging.Magn Reson Med. 2005; 53: 1432-1440
- Stroke assessment with diffusional kurtosis imaging.Stroke. 2012; 43: 2968-2973
- Discrepancy between cell injury and benzodiazepine receptor binding after transient middle cerebral artery occlusion in rats.Synapse. 2004; 53: 234-239
- Novel brain ischemic change on MRI. Delayed ischemic hyperintensity on T1-weighted images and selective neuronal death in the caudoputamen of rats after brief focal ischemia.Stroke. 1999; 30: 1043-1046
- Fast and robust estimation of diffusional kurtosis imaging (DKI) parameters by general closed-form expressions and their extensions.Magn Reson Med Sci. 2014; 13: 97-115
- Microstructural changes of the corticospinal tract in idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus: a comparison of diffusion tensor and diffusional kurtosis imaging.Neuroradiology. 2013; 55: 971-976
- Time course of axial and radial diffusion kurtosis of white matter infarctions: period of pseudonormalization.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2014; 35: 1509-1514
- Stratification of heterogeneous diffusion MRI ischemic lesion with kurtosis imaging: evaluation of mean diffusion and kurtosis MRI mismatch in an animal model of transient focal ischemia.Stroke. 2012; 43: 2252-2254
- Spatiotemporal dynamics of diffusional kurtosis, mean diffusivity and perfusion changes in experimental stroke.Brain Res. 2012; 1451: 100-109
- Time course of the apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) abnormality in human stroke.Neurology. 1997; 49: 113-119
- Cerebral infarction: time course of signal intensity changes on diffusion-weighted MR images.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1998; 171: 791-795
- Time course of cerebral infarction in the middle cerebral arterial territory: deep watershed versus territorial subtypes on diffusion-weighted MR images.Radiology. 2001; 221: 35-42
- Two-photon imaging of stroke onset in vivo reveals that NMDA-receptor independent ischemic depolarization is the major cause of rapid reversible damage to dendrites and spines.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 1756-1772
Published online: December 24, 2015
Accepted: November 22, 2015
Received in revised form: November 10, 2015
Received: August 31, 2015
© 2016 National Stroke Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.