An unfused or twiglike middle cerebral artery (MCA) is a congenital anomaly related to the abnormal development of the MCA. An unfused or twiglike MCA can cause both ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes. Previous reports have shown that an unfused or twiglike MCA with coexisting aneurysms can cause subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH).
Two patients presented with nonaneurysmal SAH due to an unfused or twiglike MCA. Both patients had stenosis of the proximal M1 segment of the left MCA and abnormal vascular nets distal to the stenotic lesion. Vasculature distal to the abnormal vascular nets remained grossly normal. These findings were not evident in computed tomography or magnetic resonance angiography.
An unfused or twiglike MCA can cause nonaneurysmal SAH. Digital subtraction angiography is necessary for accurate diagnosis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Endovascular treatment of an anterior cerebral artery aneurysm in a patient with embryonic unfused middle cerebral artery anomaly: a case report.Neuroradiology. 2005; 47: 690-694
- Aneurysms in twig-like middle cerebral artery.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2005; 20: 1-5
- Aneurysms associated with non-moyamoya collateral unfused arterial networks: report of three cases and review of literature.Neurosurg Rev. 2011; 34: 517-522
- Clinical and radiological features of patients with aplastic or twiglike middle cerebral arteries.Neurosurgery. 2012; 70: 1472-1480
- Flow-related intracranial aneurysms associated with unfused arterial twigs relevant to different vascular anomalies: embryonic and hemodynamic considerations.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2014; 156: 1637-1646
- Unfused or twig-like middle cerebral artery.Eur J Radiol. 2015; 84: 2013-2018
- Moyamoya disease—a review.Stroke. 1983; 14: 104
- Middle cerebral artery dissection presenting with intracerebral and subarachnoid hemorrhage.J Case Rep. 2013; 3: 451-454
Published online: April 08, 2016
Accepted: March 15, 2016
Received in revised form: February 23, 2016
Received: December 16, 2015
© 2016 National Stroke Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.