Genetic variations in the genes of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) may play an important role in the pathogenesis of ischemic stroke (IS). Here we investigate the association between MMP-1 −1607 1G/2G and MMP-3 −1171 5A/6A genetic polymorphisms and etiological subtypes of IS in the Han Chinese population.
A total of 640 eligible patients with IS and 637 age- and gender-matched apparently healthy volunteers were enrolled. Subtypes of IS were classified by Trial of Org 10172 in Acute Stroke Treatment criteria. MMP-1 (−1607 1G/2G) and MMP-3 (−1171 5A/6A) polymorphisms were evaluated using polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism.
The frequencies of the 5A/6A + 5A/5A genotypes and 5A allele were significantly higher in patients with IS than in controls (P < .001, P < .001, respectively). No association was found between MMP-1 1G/2G polymorphism and overall IS. In subgroup analyses, MMP-1 1G/2G and 2G/2G genotypes increased the risk of small-artery occlusion (SAO) subtype (multivariate-adjusted, P < .001, P = .002, respectively), and MMP-3 5A/6A + 5A/5A genotypes were related with large-artery atherosclerosis (LAA) subtype (multivariate-adjusted, P < .001). Haplotype analyses indicated that 2G-6A and 1G-5A increased the risk of SAO (multivariate-adjusted, P = .029) and LAA (multivariate-adjusted, P < .001), respectively.
MMP-1 (−1607 1G/2G) and MMP-3 (−1171 5A/6A) polymorphisms may contribute to different subtypes of IS susceptibility.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Genetics of common polygenic stroke.Nat Genet. 2003; 35: 116-117
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) gene polymorphism in stroke patients.Neuromolecular Med. 2015; 17: 385-390
- Multilocus genetic risk score associates with ischemic stroke in case-control and prospective cohort studies.Stroke. 2014; 45: 394-402
- A polymorphism within the 3'UTR of NLRP3 is associated with susceptibility for ischemic stroke in Chinese population.Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2016; 36: 981-988
- Matrix metalloproteinases in coronary artery disease: clinical and therapeutic implications and pathological significance.Curr Med Chem. 2005; 12: 917-925
- Matrix metalloproteinases in vascular remodeling and atherogenesis: the good, the bad, and the ugly.Circ Res. 2002; 90: 251-262
- Matrix metalloproteinases: a tail of a frog that became a prince.Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2002; 3: 207-214
- Matrix metalloproteinases: a potential therapeutic target in atherosclerosis.Curr Drug Targets Cardiovasc Haematol Disord. 2005; 5: 541-548
- Role of matrix metalloproteinases in vascular remodeling.J Atheroscler Thromb. 2003; 10: 275-282
- A single nucleotide polymorphism in the matrix metalloproteinase-1 promoter creates an Ets binding site and augments transcription.Cancer Res. 1998; 58: 5321-5325
- Influence of matrix metalloproteinase genotype on cardiovascular disease susceptibility and outcome.Cardiovasc Res. 2006; 69: 636-645
- Progression of coronary atherosclerosis is associated with a common genetic variant of the human stromelysin-1 promoter which results in reduced gene expression.J Biol Chem. 1996; 271: 13055-13060
- Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke. Definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial. TOAST. Trial of Org 10172 in Acute Stroke Treatment.Stroke. 1993; 24: 35-41
- Impact of 5A/6A polymorphism of matrix metalloproteinase-3 on recurrent atherosclerotic ischemic stroke in Chinese.Int J Neurosci. 2015; 126: 936-941
- Rapid genotype analysis of the matrix metalloproteinase-1 gene 1G/2G polymorphism that is associated with risk of cancer.Matrix Biol. 2000; 19: 175-177
- Rapid genotype analysis of the stromelysin gene 5A/6A polymorphism.Atherosclerosis. 2000; 151: 587-589
- Haploview: analysis and visualization of LD and haplotype maps.Bioinformatics. 2005; 21: 263-265
- Matrix metalloproteinase-1 and matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene promoter polymorphisms are associated with carotid artery stenosis.Stroke. 2002; 33: 2408-2412
- Association of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene variants with stroke.Eur J Neurol. 2011; 18: 1053-1059
- Serum levels and polymorphisms of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in carotid artery atherosclerosis: higher MMP-9 levels are associated with plaque vulnerability.Biomarkers. 2014; 19: 49-55
- Features of vulnerable plaques and clinical outcome of UA/NSTEMI: relationship with matrix metalloproteinase functional polymorphisms.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 215: 153-159
- The role of genetic variants of matrix metalloproteinases in coronary and carotid atherosclerosis.J Med Genet. 2006; 43: 897-901
- Proinflammatory genetic profiles in subjects with history of ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2004; 35: 2270-2275
- [Association of matrix metalloproteinase-3 serum level and the promoter 5A/6A polymorphism of the MMP-3 gene with atherosclerotic cerebral infarction].Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi. 2008; 25: 653-656
- The role of matrix metalloproteinases in atherothrombosis.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2011; 13: 162-169
- Increased matrix metalloproteinase-9 activity in unstable carotid plaques. A potential role in acute plaque disruption.Stroke. 2000; 31: 40-47
- Correlation between matrix metalloproteinase-3 polymorphism and the stability of carotid plaque.Chin J Neurol. 2009; 42: 233-236
- ApoE knockout mice expressing human matrix metalloproteinase-1 in macrophages have less advanced atherosclerosis.J Clin Invest. 2001; 107: 1227-1234
- Interstitial collagenase (MMP-1) expression in human carotid atherosclerosis.Circulation. 1995; 92: 1393-1398
- Variation in the matrix metalloproteinase-1 gene and risk of coronary heart disease.Eur Heart J. 2003; 24: 1668-1671
- Matrix metalloproteinase-1 and matrix metalloproteinase-12 gene polymorphisms and the risk of ischemic stroke in a Tunisian population.J Neurol Sci. 2014; 342: 107-113
- Matrix metalloproteinase-1 promoter genotypes and haplotypes are associated with carotid plaque presence.Clin Biochem. 2012; 45: 1353-1356
Published online: October 25, 2016
Accepted: September 22, 2016
Received in revised form: September 12, 2016
Received: July 11, 2016
Xiao-Ya Huang and Li-Ya Han contributed equally to this work.
© 2017 National Stroke Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.