Carotid atherosclerosis is one of the major causes of stroke. The determination of the intima-media thickness, the identification of carotid atherosclerotic plaque, and the classification of the different stenoses are considered as important parameters for the assessment of atherosclerotic diseases. The aim of this work is to segment the plaques and to allow a better comprehension of carotid atherosclerosis.
We considered 44 subjects, 22 with and 22 without the presence of plaques in the carotid axis, and we applied the snake algorithm.
The resulting interclass correlation coefficients (ICCs) were significant for all 3 parameters (mean echogenicity: ICC1 = .78 [95%CI: .55-0.90]; perimeter: ICC2 = .81 [95%CI: .61-0.92]; area: ICC3 = .89 [95%CI: .75-0.95]). The diagnostic accuracy was 82%, with an appropriate cutoff value of 224.5, sensitivity of 79%, and specificity of 85%.
In this study, we developed an automatic method to identify the carotid plaque. Our results showed that an automatic system of image segmentation could be used to identify, characterize, and measure atherosclerotic carotid plaques.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The role of carotid arterial intima-media thickness in predicting clinical coronary events.Ann Intern Med. 1998; 128: 262-269
- Carotid-artery intima and media thickness as a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke in older adults.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 14-22
- Snake segmentation of multiple sclerosis lesions for assisted diagnosis by cluster analysis-based techniques.(In: Applied and Industrial Mathematics in Italy III)2009: 99-110
- A snake-based method for segmentation of intravascular ultrasound images and its in vivo validation.Ultrasonics. 2011; 51: 181-189
- A review of noninvasive ultrasound image processing methods in the analysis of carotid plaque morphology for the assessment of stroke risk.IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2010; 14: 1027-1038
- Atherosclerotic carotid plaque segmentation.(In Proc. 29th Ann. Int. Conf. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), San Francisco, CA)2004: 1403-1406
- An integrated system for the segmentation of atherosclerosis carotid plaque.IEEE Trans Inform Technol Biomed. 2007; 11: 661-667
- User-independent plaque characterization and accurate IMT measurement of carotid artery wall using ultrasound.(In Proc. 28th Ann. Int. Conf. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS))2006: 404-2407
- Characterization of a completely user-independent algorithm for carotid artery segmentation in 2-D ultrasound images.IEEE Trans Instr Meas. 2007; 56: 1265-1274
- Accurate and automatic carotid plaque characterization in contrast enhanced 2-D ultrasound images.Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007; 2007: 335-338
- Using the Hough transform to segment ultrasound images of longitudinal and transverse sections of the carotid artery.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2007; 33: 1918-1932
- Validation of a computer-aided diagnosis system for the automatic identification of carotid atherosclerosis.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2015; 41: 509-516
- Computer-aided diagnosis in radiology: potential and pitfalls.Eur J Radiol. 1999; 2: 97-109
- Computer-aided diagnosis of breast lesions in medical images.Comput Sci Eng. 2000; 2: 39-45
- Computer-aided diagnosis in medical imaging.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2001; 20: 1205-1208
- Computer-aided detection and diagnosis of breast cancer.Radiol Clin North Am. 2000; 38: 725-740
- Measuring the accuracy of diagnostic systems.Science. 1988; 4857: 1285-1293
- ROC curve inference from a sample with a limit of detection.Am J Epidemiol. 2007; 165: 325-333
- Segmentation of plaques in sequences of ultrasonic B-mode images of carotid arteries based on motion estimation and a Bayesian model.IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2011; 58: 2202-2211
- Segmentation of atherosclerotic carotid plaque in ultrasound video.Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2012; 2012: 53-56
- Fully automated carotid plaque segmentation in combined contrast-enhanced and b-mode ultrasound.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2015; 41: 517-531
Published online: October 31, 2016
Accepted: September 30, 2016
Received in revised form: September 14, 2016
Received: July 25, 2016
© 2017 National Stroke Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.