Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) is a prion disease characterized by rapidly progressive dementia that is often followed by behavioral disturbances, ataxia, myoclonus, and akinetic mutism. The initial symptoms of CJD reportedly vary, but the onset is usually gradual. Here, we report a case of CJD with a sudden, stroke-like onset of right hemiparesis to alert readers that CJD can mimic a stroke during its early stage.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Relationship between clinical course and diffusion-weighted MRI findings in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.Neurol Sci. 2008; 29: 251-255
- Stroke-like presentation in a case of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2004; 18: 251-253
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease manifesting as stroke mimic in a 78-year-old patient: pitfalls and tips in the diagnosis.J Neurol Sci. 2014; 346: 343-344
- Onset of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease mimicking an acute cerebrovascular event.Neurology. 2006; 67: 538-539
- Acute human stroke studied by whole brain echo planar diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging.Ann Neurol. 1995; 37: 231-241
- Persistent infarct hyperintensity on diffusion-weighted imaging late after stroke indicates heterogeneous, delayed, infarct evolution.Stroke. 2006; 37: 1418-1423
- Reactive oxygen species generated by mitochondrial injury in human brain microvessel endothelial cells.Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2006; 34: 163-168
- Imaging of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: imaging patterns and their differential diagnosis.Radiographics. 2017; 37: 234-257
- Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in probable Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: a clinical-anatomic correlation.Arch Neurol. 1999; 56: 951-957
Published online: March 28, 2020
Accepted: February 24, 2020
Received in revised form: February 16, 2020
Received: November 25, 2019
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.