- •Use of IV-tPA was associated with hospital revisit for PISE when adjusting for demographics, comorbidities, and characteristics of the index stroke admission.
- •There was no independent association between MT and PISE-related revisits in adjusted models.
- •Decompressive craniectomy was associated with more than a 2-fold increase in the risk for revisit for PISE.
- •The occurrence of in-hospital seizures correlated most closely with long-term revisits for PISE.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Global and regional burden of stroke during 1990–2010: findings from the global burden of disease study 2010.Lancet. 2014; 383: 245-255
- Development of epilepsy after ischaemic stroke.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 185-197
- Young adult ischaemic stroke related acute symptomatic and late seizures: risk factors.Eur J Neurol. 2013; 20: 1247-1255
- Epileptic seizures after a first stroke: the Oxfordshire Community Stroke Project.BMJ. 1997; 315: 1582-1587
- Influence of seizures on stroke outcomes: a large multicenter study.Neurology. 2014; 82: 768-776
- Factors affecting the quality of life after ischemic stroke: young versus old patients.J Clin Neurol. 2005; 1: 59-68
- Poststroke epilepsy is associated with a high mortality after a stroke at young age.Stroke. 2015; 46: 2309-2311
- Acute ischemic stroke treatment and the occurrence of seizures.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2010; 112: 328-331
- Tissue plasminogen activator and urokinase plasminogen activator in human epileptogenic pathologies.Neuroscience. 2010; 167: 929-945
- Seizures during stroke thrombolysis heralding dramatic neurologic recovery.Neurology. 2006; 67: 2048-2049
- Adverse effect of early epileptic seizures in patients receiving endovascular therapy for acute stroke.Stroke. 2012; 43: 1584-1590
- Epileptic manifestations in stroke patients treated with intravenous alteplase.Eur J Neurol. 2017; 24: 755-761
- Does treatment with t-PA increase the risk of developing epilepsy after stroke?.J Neurol. 2015; 262: 2364-2372
- Association between different acute stroke therapies and development of post stroke seizures.BMC Neurol. 2018; 18: 61
- Development and validation of risk score to estimate 1-year late poststroke epilepsy risk in ischemic stroke patients.Clin Epidemiol. 2018; 10: 1001-1011
- Clinical predictors of seizure recurrence after the first post-ischemic stroke seizure.BMC Neurol. 2016; 16: 212
- Post-stroke seizure—Do the locations, types and managements of stroke matter?.Epilepsia Open. 2018; 3: 392-398
- Readmission after stroke in a hospital-based registry: risk, etiologies, and risk factors.Neurology. 2011; 76: 438-443
- Five-year readmission and mortality differ by ischemic stroke subtype.J. Neurol. Sci. 2019; 403: 31-37
- Validating administrative data in stroke research.Stroke. 2002; 33: 2465-2470
- ILAE official report: a practical clinical definition of epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2014; 55: 475-482
- A systematic review of validated methods for identifying seizures, convulsions, or epilepsy using administrative and claims data.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012; 21: 183-193
- Identifying increased risk of readmission and in-hospital mortality using hospital administrative data: the AHRQ elixhauser comorbidity index.Med Care. 2017; 55: 698-705
Medicode (Firm). ICD-9-CM: International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification. Salt Lake City, Utah: Medicode, 1996.
- Epilepsy after head injury: an overview.Epilepsia. 2009; 50: 4-9
- Estimation of seizures prevalence in ischemic strokes after thrombolytic therapy.Seizure. 2018; 62: 91-94
- Risk Factors for Epilepsy After Thrombolysis for Ischemic Stroke: a cohort study.Front Neurol. 2020; ([Internet][cited 2020 Nov 22];10. Available from)
- Incidence, predictors, and outcome of early seizures after mechanical thrombectomy.J. Neurol. Sci. 2019; 396: 235-239
- Association between hemorrhagic transformation after endovascular therapy and poststroke seizures.Epilepsia. 2018; 59: 403-409
- MR CLEAN, a multicenter randomized clinical trial of endovascular treatment for acute ischemic stroke in the Netherlands: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2014; ([Internet][cited 2020 Aug 12];15. Available from)
- The Penumbra Pivotal Stroke Trial.Stroke. 2009; 40: 2761-2768
- ICD9 Codes Cannot Reliably Identify Hemorrhagic Transformation of Ischemic Stroke.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013; 6: 505-506
- Poststroke Seizures.Arch Neurol. 2002; 59: 195-201
- Specific Factors to Predict Large-Vessel Occlusion in Acute Stroke Patients.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2018; 27: 886-891
- Mechanical thrombectomy is now the gold standard for acute ischemic stroke: implications for routine clinical practice.Interv Neurol. 2015; 4: 18-29
- Computed tomographic patterns of proven embolic brain infarctions.Ann Neurol. 1989; 26: 759-765
- Incidence and associations of poststroke epilepsy.Stroke. 2013; 44: 605-611
- High risk of seizures and epilepsy after decompressive hemicraniectomy for malignant middle cerebral artery stroke.Cerebrovasc Dis Extra. 2017; 7: 51-61
- Seizures after decompressive hemicraniectomy for ischaemic stroke.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2014; 85: 721-725
- Seizures, periodic and rhythmic patterns in primary intraventricular hemorrhage.Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2018; 5: 1104-1111
- Status epilepticus in stroke.Neurology. 2000; 54: 350
- Prevalence and predictors of early seizure and status epilepticus after first stroke.Neurology. 2001; 57: 200
- Early EEG predicts poststroke epilepsy.Epilepsia Open. 2018; 3: 203-212
- New onset epilepsy among patients with periodic discharges on continuous electroencephalographic monitoring.Epilepsia. 2018; 59: 1612-1620
The present manuscript was completed within the Department of Neurology at Yale School of Medicine in New Haven, CT. The manuscript complies with all instructions to authors. All authors have met authorship requirements and provided final approval of the manuscript. The manuscript has not previously been published and is not under consideration for publication by another journal. Given that only de-identified subject data from publicly available databases were used, this study was exempt from review from our institutional review board. The STROBE checklist was used for this study.