- •Four categories from cardiovascular disease Congestive heart failure, Atrial fibrillation, pre-existing Stroke and Hypertension (CASH).were constructed: CASH-0 (no coexisting CVD); CASH-1 (any one coexisting CVD); CASH-2 (any two coexisting CVD); CASH-3 (any three or all four coexisting CVD).
- •Compared to CASH-0, individuals with CASH-3 had twice the risk of in-hospital mortality, prolonged length of stay on hyperacute stroke units, and disability at discharge; two and half to three times the risk of nosocomial infections within seven days of admission.
- •CASH is a novel and simple outcome risk scale which can used to identify patients who are at increased risk of a variety of stroke associated adverse outcomes.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chron Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Risk adjustment performance of Charlson and Elixhauser comorbidities in ICD-9 and ICD-10 administrative databases.BMC Health Serv Res. 2008; 8: 1-7
- Impact of multimorbidity on risk and outcome of stroke: Lessons from chronic kidney disease.Int J Stroke. 2020; (Online ahead of print)1747493020975250https://doi.org/10.1177/1747493020975250
- Measuring multimorbidity beyond counting diseases: systematic review of community and population studies and guide to index choice.BMJ. 2020; 368: m160
- Charlson Index comorbidity adjustment for ischemic stroke outcome studies.Stroke. 2004; 35: 1941-1945
- Stroke: the Elixhauser Index for comorbidity adjustment of in-hospital case fatality.Neurology. 2008; 71: 283-287
- Defining and measuring multimorbidity: a systematic review of systematic reviews.Eur J Public Health. 2019; 29: 182-189
- Acute stroke with atrial fibrillation: the Copenhagen Stroke Study.Stroke. 1996; 27: 1765-1769
- Evaluation of anticoagulation status for atrial fibrillation on early ischaemic stroke outcomes: a registry-based, prospective cohort study of acute stroke care in Surrey, UK.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e019122
- Developing an adapted Charlson comorbidity index for ischemic stroke outcome studies.BMC Health Serv Res. 2019; 19: 930
- Effect of rehabilitation setting on dependence following stroke: an analysis of the French inpatient database.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2014; 28: 36-44
- Impact of comorbidities on stroke rehabilitation outcomes: does the method matter?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1903-1906
Royal College of Physicians. Clinical effectiveness and evaluation unit on behalf of the intercollegiate stroke working party. SSNAP January–March 2016. Public Report. https://www.strokeaudit.org/Documents/National/AcuteOrg/2016/2016-AOANationalReport.aspx . Accessed May 09, 2021.
- Anticoagulation therapy in patients with stroke and atrial fibrillation: a registry-based study of acute stroke care in Surrey, UK.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e022558
- New evidence-based A1, A2, A3 alarm time zones for transferring thrombolysed patients to hyper-acute stroke units: faster is better.Neurol Sci. 2019; 40: 1659-1665
- Incidence and prevalence of cardiovascular disease in English primary care: a cross-sectional and follow-up study of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) Research and Surveillance Centre (RSC).BMJ Open. 2018; 8e020282
- Prevalence of coexistence of coronary artery disease, ischemic stroke, and peripheral arterial disease in older persons, mean age 80 years, in an academic hospital-based geriatrics practice.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 1255-1256
- Eighteen-year trends in stroke mortality and the prognostic influence of comorbidity.Neurology. 2014; 82: 340-350
- Increasing comorbidity and health services utilization in older adults with prior stroke.Neurology. 2016; 87: 2091-2098
- Interobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients.Stroke. 1988; 19: 604-607
- Prestroke disability predicts adverse poststroke outcome: a registry-based prospective cohort study of acute stroke.Stroke. 2020; 51: 594-600
- ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002.Clin Nutr. 2003; 22: 415-421
- Increased association with malnutrition and malnourishment in older adults admitted with hip fractures who have cognitive impairment and delirium, as assessed by 4AT.Nutr Clin Pract. 2021; 36: 1053-1058https://doi.org/10.1002/ncp.10614
- Global, regional, and national burden of stroke, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet Neurol. 18. 2019: 439-458
- The global burden of stroke: persistent and disabling.Lancet Neurol. 2019; 18: 417-418