- •Arterial stiffness is associated with cognitive impairment and dementia.
- •The course of arterial damage is sexually dimorphic.
- •Sex may moderate the association between arterial stiffness and cognitive function.
- •The effect of arterial stiffness on cognition may be stronger in males than females.
- •These results support sex-specific mechanisms in the evolution of cognitive aging.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Dementia: a public health priority.World Health Organization, 2012
- Arterial stiffness and cardiovascular events: the Framingham heart study.Circulation. 2010; 121: 505-511
- Prediction of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality with arterial stiffness: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1318-1327
- Arterial stiffness and cognition among adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational and longitudinal studies.J Am Heart Assoc. 2020; 9e014621
- Arterial stiffness, the brain and cognition: a systematic review.Ageing Res Rev. 2014; 15: 16-27
- Association between arterial stiffness, cerebral small vessel disease and cognitive impairment: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 53: 121-130
- Arterial stiffness.Pulse. 2013; 1 (Basel, Switzerland): 14-28
- Relationship between aortic stiffening and microvascular disease in brain and kidney: cause and logic of therapy.Hypertension. 2005; 46 (Dallas, Tex.: 1979): 200-204
- Large-artery stiffness in health and disease: JACC state-of-the-art review.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74: 1237-1263
- Arterial stiffness, cognitive impairment and dementia: confounding factor or real risk?.J Neurochem. 2018; 144: 527-548
- Associations of arterial stiffness with cognitive performance, and the role of microvascular dysfunction: the maastricht study.Hypertension. 2020; 75 (Dallas, Tex.: 1979): 1607-1614
- Expert consensus document on the measurement of aortic stiffness in daily practice using carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity.J Hypertens. 2012; 30: 445-448
- Arterial stiffness relates to executive dysfunction in later life.Aging Neuropsychol Cogn. 2020; 27: 140-151
- Sex differences in mechanisms of arterial stiffness.Br J Pharmacol. 2019; 176: 4208-4225
- New insights into arterial stiffening: does sex matter?.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2018; 315: H1073-H1087
- Changes in arterial stiffness and wave reflection with advancing age in healthy men and women: the Framingham heart study.Hypertension. 2004; 43 (Dallas, Tex.: 1979): 1239-1245
- Gender specific patterns of age-related decline in aortic stiffness: a cardiovascular magnetic resonance study including normal ranges.J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2015; 17: 20
- Menopause is an independent factor augmenting the age-related increase in arterial stiffness in the early postmenopausal phase.Atherosclerosis. 2006; 184: 137-142
- Human vascular smooth muscle cells contain functional estrogen receptor.Circulation. 1994; 89: 1943-1950
- Estrogen modulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase.Endocr Rev. 2002; 23: 665-686
- Effects of the menopause, gender, and estrogen replacement therapy on vascular nitric oxide activity.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 1577-1583
- Effect of estrogen and progestin replacement on arterial stiffness indices in postmenopausal women.Aging. 2001; 13 (Milan, Italy): 122-130
- Sex differences in cardiovascular risk factors and disease prevention.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 241: 211-218
- State of the science in women's cardiovascular disease: a canadian perspective on the influence of sex and gender.J Am Heart Assoc. 2020; 9e015634
- The Montreal cognitive assessment, MoCA: a brief screening tool for mild cognitive impairment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 695-699
- Mini-mental state: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- Arterial stiffness and cognitive function in the elderly.J Alzheimer's Disease JAD. 2014; 42 Suppl 4: S503-S514
- "Mini-mental state". A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- The unity and diversity of executive functions and their contributions to complex "Frontal Lobe" tasks: a latent variable analysis.Cogn Psychol. 2000; 41: 49-100
- A compendium of neuropsychological tests: administration, norms, and commentary.American Chemical Society, 2006
- The Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale–Fourth Edition and the Wechsler Memory Scale–Fourth Edition. 2018
- Assessment of arterial distensibility by automatic pulse wave velocity measurement. Validation and clinical application studies.Hypertension. 1995; 26 (Dallas, Tex.: 1979): 485-490
- Methods and devices for measuring arterial compliance in humans.Am J Hypertens. 2002; 15: 743-753
- General cardiovascular risk profile for use in primary care: the Framingham heart study.Circulation. 2008; 117: 743-753
- No adjustments are needed for multiple comparisons.Epidemiology. 1990; 1: 43-46
- Multiple comparison procedures: the practical solution.Am Stat. 1990; 44: 174-180
- Practical use of the Framingham risk score in primary prevention.Can Perspect. 2011; 57: 417-423
- Reference values of aortic pulse wave velocity in the elderly.Jf Hypertens. 2008; 26: 2207-2212
- 2018 ESC/ESH Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension.Eur Heart J. 2018; 39: 3021-3104
- The association between pulse wave velocity and cognitive function: the Sydney memory and ageing study.PloS one. 2013; 8: e61855
- Pulse pressure and pulse wave velocity are related to cognitive decline in the Baltimore longitudinal study of aging.Hypertension. 2008; 51 (Dallas, Tex.: 1979): 99-104
- Bioavailable testosterone linearly declines over a wide age spectrum in men and women from the Baltimore longitudinal study of aging.J Gerontol Ser A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016; 71: 1202-1209
- Testosterone deficiency: a determinant of aortic stiffness in men.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 233: 278-283
- In vivo estimation of the contribution of elastin and collagen to the mechanical properties in the human abdominal aorta: effect of age and sex.J Appl Physiol. 2011; 110 (Bethesda, Md.: 1985): 176-187
- Mechanism of gender-specific differences in aortic stiffness with aging in nonhuman primates.Circulation. 2007; 116: 669-676
- Cerebrovascular damage mediates relations between aortic stiffness and memory.Hypertension. 2016; 67 (Dallas, Tex.: 1979): 176-182
- Arterial stiffness, pressure and flow pulsatility and brain structure and function: the age, gene/environment susceptibility–Reykjavik study.Brain A J Neurol. 2011; 134: 3398-3407
- Pulse wave velocity and cognitive function in older adults.Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2014; 28: 44-49
This work was performed at the University of British Columbia, Department of Physical Therapy.