In drip-and-ship protocols, non-invasive vascular imaging (NIVI) at Referral Centers (RC), although recommended, is not consistently performed and its value is uncertain. We evaluated the role of NIVI at RC, comparing patients with (VI+) and without (VI-) vascular imaging in several outcomes.
Observational, multicenter study from a prospective government-mandated population-based registry of code stroke patients. We selected acute ischemic stroke patients, initially assessed at RC from January-2016 to June-2020. We compared and analyzed the rates of patients transferred to a Comprehensive Stroke Center (CSC) for Endovascular Treatment (EVT), rates of EVT and workflow times between VI+ and VI- patients.
From 5128 ischemic code stroke patients admitted at RC; 3067 (59.8%) were VI+, 1822 (35.5%) were secondarily transferred to a CSC and 600 (11.7%) received EVT. Among all patients with severe stroke (NIHSS ≥16) at RC, a multivariate analysis showed that lower age, thrombolytic treatment, and VI+ (OR:1.479, CI95%: 1.117-1.960, p=0.006) were independent factors associated to EVT.
The rate of secondary transfer to a CSC was lower in VI+ group (24.6% vs. 51.6%, p<0.001). Among transferred patients, EVT was more frequent in VI+ than VI- (48.6% vs. 21.7%, p<0.001).
Interval times as door-in door-out (median-minutes 83.5 vs. 82, p= 0.13) and RC-Door to puncture (median-minutes 189 vs. 178, p= 0.47) did not show differences between both groups.
In the present study, NIVI at RC improves selection for EVT, and is associated with receiving EVT in severe stroke patients. Time-metrics related to drip-and-ship model were not affected by NIVI.
Abbreviations:NIVI (Noninvasive vascular imaging), VI+ (Patients with noninvasive vascular imaging), VI- (Patients without noninvasive vascular imaging), RC (Referral Centers), CSC (Comprehensive Stroke Centers), EVT (Endovascular Treatment), LVO (Large Vessel Occlusion), CTA (Computed Angiography), DIDO (Door-in Door-out time), NIHSS (National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale), RACE (rapid arterial occlusion evaluation scale), rcDTP (RC-Door to CSC-Puncture time), CICAT (Codi Ictus Catalunya Registry)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- HERMES Collaborators. Time to treatment with endovascular thrombectomy and outcomes from ischemic stroke: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2016; 316: 1279-1288
- STRATIS Investigators. Interhospital transfer before thrombectomy is associated with delayed treatment and worse outcome in the STRATIS registry (Systematic Evaluation of Patients Treated with Neurothrombectomy Devices for Acute Ischemic Stroke).Circulation. 2017; 136: 2311-2321
- Picture to puncture”: a novel time metric to enhance outcomes in patients transferred for endovascular reperfusio in acute ischemic stroke.Circulation. 2013; 127: 1139-1148
- Impact of transfer status on hospitalization cost and discharge disposition for acute ischemic stroke across the US.J Neurosurg. 2016; 124: 1228-1237
- Deconstruction of Interhospital Transfer Workflow in Large Vessel Occlusion Real-World Data in the Thrombectomy Era.Stroke. 2017; 48: 1976-1979
- Identifying delays to mechanical thrombectomy for acute stroke: onset to door and door to clot times.J Neurointerv Surg. 2014; 6: 505-510
- Revalidation of the RACE scale after its regional implementation in Catalonia: a triage tool for large vessel occlusion.J Neurointerv Surg. 2019; 11: 751-756
- Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: 2019 update to the 2018 guidelines for the early management of acute ischemic stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the.American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2019; 50: e344-e418
- CT angiography in evaluating large-vessel occlusion in acute anterior circulation ischemic stroke: factors associated with diagnostic error in clinical practice.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2020; 41: 607-611
- Clinical and neuroimaging criteria to improve the workflow in transfers for endovascular treatment evaluation.Int J Stroke. 2019; 101747493019874725
- Patterns of Stroke Transfers and Identification of Predictors for Thrombectomy.World Neurosurg. 2019; 121: e675-e683
- Increasing use of computed tomographic perfusion and computed tomographic angiograms in acute ischemic stroke from 2006 to 2010.Stroke. 2014; 45: 1029-1034
- Vascular Occlusion Evolution in Endovascular Reperfusion Candidates Transferred from Primary to Comprehensive Stroke Centers.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2020; 49: 550-555
- Futile inter-hospital transfer for mechanical thrombectomy in a semi-rural context: analysis of a 6-year prospective registry.J Neurointerv Surg. 2019; 11: 539-544
- Door in door out and transportation times in 2 telestroke networks.Neurol Clin Pract. 2019; 9: 41-47
- Association of a Primary Stroke Center Protocol for Suspected Stroke by Large-Vessel Occlusion with Efficiency of Care and Patient Outcomes.JAMA Neurol. 2017; 74: 793-800
- Timing of vessel imaging for suspected large vessel occlusions does not affect groin puncture time in transfer patients with stroke.J Neurointerv Surg. 2018; 10: 22-24
- Door-in-Door-Out Time of 60 Minutes for Stroke With Emergent Large Vessel Occlusion at a Primary Stroke Center.Stroke. 2019; 50: 2829-2834
- Medical management vs mechanical thrombectomy for mild strokes: an international multicenter study and systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Neurol. 2020; 77: 16-24
- Outcomes in patients with acute ischemic stroke from proximal intracranial vessel occlusion and NIHSS score below 8.J Neurointerv Surg. 2014; 6: 413-417
- The establishment of a telestroke service using multimodal CT imaging decision assistance: ‘‘Turning on the fog lights.J Clin Neurosci. 2017; 37: 1-5
- Deep Learning Based Software to Identify Large Vessel Occlusion on Noncontrast Computed Tomography.Stroke. 2020; 51: 3133-3137
- ALADIN study: automated large artery occlusion detection in stroke imaging study - a multicenter experience.Eur Stroke J. 2018; 3: As10-As047
- Early experience utilizing artificial intelligence shows significant reduction in transfer times and length of stay in a hub and spoke model.Interv Neuroradiol. 2020; 26: 615-622
Published online: November 15, 2021
Accepted: October 26, 2021
Received in revised form: October 21, 2021
Received: September 8, 2021
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.