- •Malnutrition and sarcopenia are common in patients with acute stroke.
- •Phase angle is a non-invasive, simple and objective clinical indicator measured by bioelectrical impedance analysis.
- •Phase angle is independently associated with malnutrition and sarcopenia in patients with acute stroke.
- •The cutoffs for malnutrition and sarcopenia are 5.05 for men and 3.96 for women and 5.28 for men and 4.62 for women.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Muscle mass gain is positively associated with functional recovery in patients with sarcopenia after stroke.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis Off J Natl Stroke Assoc. 2020; 29105017
- Prestroke sarcopenia and stroke severity in elderly patients with acute stroke.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis Off J Natl Stroke Assoc. 2019; 28: 2228-2231
- Relationship of malnutrition during hospitalization with functional recovery and postdischarge destination in elderly stroke patients.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis Off J Natl Stroke Assoc. 2019; 28: 1866-1872
- Sarcopenia is associated with worse recovery of physical function and dysphagia and a lower rate of home discharge in Japanese hospitalized adults undergoing convalescent rehabilitation.Nutrition. 2019; 61 (Burbank, Los Angeles County, Calif): 111-118
- Prestroke sarcopenia and functional outcomes in elderly patients who have had an acute stroke: a prospective cohort study.Nutrition. 2019; 66 (Burbank, Los Angeles County, Calif): 44-47
- Chair-stand exercise improves post-stroke dysphagia.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2020; 20: 885-891
- Effects of a leucine-enriched amino acid supplement on muscle mass, muscle strength, and physical function in post-stroke patients with sarcopenia: a randomized controlled trial.Nutrition. 2019; 58 (Burbank, Los Angeles County, Calif): 1-6
- Asian working group for sarcopenia: 2019 consensus update on sarcopenia diagnosis and treatment.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21 (e302): 300-307
- Phase angle as an indicator of sarcopenia, malnutrition, and cachexia in inpatients with cardiovascular diseases.J Clin Med. 2020; 9
- Association of bioelectrical impedance analysis-derived phase angle and sarcopenia in older adults.Nutr Clin Pract. 2017; 32: 103-109
- Impact of phase angle on physical function in patients with acute stroke.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis Off J Natl Stroke Assoc. 2021; 30105941
- Prevalence of sarcopenia and its association with activities of daily living and dysphagia in convalescent rehabilitation ward inpatients.Clin Nutr. 2018; 37 (Edinburgh, Scotland): 2022-2028
- High nutritional-related risk on admission predicts less improvement of functional independence measure in geriatric stroke patients: a retrospective cohort study.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis Off J Natl Stroke Assoc. 2016; 25: 1335-1341
- Calf circumference value for sarcopenia screening among older adults with stroke.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2020; 93104290
- Assessment of adult malnutrition and prognosis with bioelectrical impedance analysis: phase angle and impedance ratio.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2017; 20: 330-339
- Use of bioelectrical impedance analysis for the assessment of nutritional status in critically ill patients.Clin Nutr Res. 2015; 4: 32-40
- Phase angle values, a good indicator of nutritional status, are associated with median value of hemoglobin rather than hemoglobin variability in hemodialysis patients.Ren Fail. 2021; 43: 327-334
- Relationship between nutritional status and phase angle as a noninvasive method to predict malnutrition by sex in older inpatients.Nagoya J Med Sci. 2021; 83: 31-40
- Skeletal muscle mass and distribution in 468 men and women aged 18-88 yr.J Appl Physiol. 2000; 89 (Bethesda, Md: 1985): 81-88
- Sex-related differences in the effects of nutritional status and body composition on functional disability in the elderly.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0246276
- Phase angle predicts physical function in older adults.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2020; 90104151
- Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) -derived phase angle in sarcopenia: a systematic review.Clin Nutr. 2021; 40 (Edinburgh, Scotland): 3052-3061
- Prevalence of stroke-related sarcopenia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis Off J Natl Stroke Assoc. 2020; 29105092
- New understanding of the pathogenesis and treatment of stroke-related sarcopenia.Biomed Pharmacother. 2020; 131110721