- •Half of the stroke patients recanalized by thrombectomy remain disabled at 3 months.
- •Continued infarct growth is associated to poor prognosis after recanalization.
- •Diabetic history is independently associated to infarct growth during reperfusion.
- •Diabetic history is independently associated to poor clinical outcome.
- •Diabetic microangiopathy leads probably to poor reperfusion despite recanalization.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:IG (Infarct Growth), LVO (Large Vessel Occlusion), DWI (Diffusion-Weighted Imaging)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Infarct volume is a pivotal biomarker after intra-arterial stroke therapy.Stroke. 2012; 43: 1323-1330
- Final infarct volume is a stronger predictor of outcome than recanalization in patients with proximal middle cerebral artery occlusion treated with endovascular therapy.Stroke. 2012; 43: 3238‑3244
- Age-adjusted infarct volume threshold for good outcome after endovascular treatment.J NeuroIntervent Surg. 2014; 6: 418‑422
- Factors influencing infarct growth including collateral status assessed using computed tomography in acute stroke patients with large artery occlusion.International Journal of Stroke. 2019; 14: 603‑612
- Reperfusion within 6 hours outperforms recanalization in predicting penumbra salvage, lesion growth, final infarct, and clinical outcome.Stroke. 2015; 46: 1582‑1589
- Endovascular thrombectomy after large-vessel ischaemic stroke: a meta-analysis of individual patient data from five randomised trials.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1723‑1731
- Recanalization for large vessel stroke: necessary but not sufficient for reperfusion.Neurology. 2019; 92: 1127‑1128
- Predictors of poor outcome despite successful endovascular treatment for ischemic stroke: results from the MR CLEAN registry.J NeuroInterv Surg. 2021;
- The infarct core is well represented by the acute diffusion lesion: sustained reversal is infrequent.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2012; 32: 50‑56
- Predictors of infarct growth after endovascular therapy for acute ischemic stroke.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2015; 24: 401‑407
- Fast versus slow progressors of infarct growth in large vessel occlusion stroke: clinical and research implications.Stroke. 2017; 48: 2621‑2627
- Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: 2019 update to the 2018 guidelines for the early management of acute ischemic stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American heart association/American stroke association.Stroke. 2019; 50: e440-e441
- MR signal abnormalities at 1.5 T in Alzheimer's dementia and normal aging.Am J Roentgenol. 1987; 149: 351‑356
- Randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial of thrombolytic therapy with intravenous alteplase in acute ischaemic stroke (ECASS II).Lancet. 1998; 352: 1245‑1251
- Ischemic diffusion lesion reversal after endovascular treatment: prevalence, prognosis, and predictors.Stroke. 2019; 50: 1504‑1509
- Reversible diffusion-weighted imaging lesions in acute ischemic stroke: a systematic review.Neurology. 2020; 94: 571‑587
- Hyperglycemia in acute ischemic stroke: pathophysiology and clinical management.Nat Rev Neurol. 2010; 6: 145‑155
- Diabetes, hyperglycaemia, and acute ischaemic stroke.Lancet Neurol. 2012; 11: 261‑271
- Glucose and acute stroke: evidence for an interlude.Stroke. 2012; 43: 898‑902
- Early prediction of poor outcome despite successful recanalization after endovascular treatment for anterior large vessel occlusion stroke.World Neurosurg. 2018; 115: e312‑321
- Multivariable analysis of outcome predictors and adjustment of main outcome results to baseline data profile in randomized controlled trials: Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-MOnitoring STudy (SITS-MOST).Stroke. 2008; 39: 3316‑3322
- Admission hyperglycemia and outcomes in large vessel occlusion strokes treated with mechanical thrombectomy.J NeuroIntervent Surg. 2018; 10: 112‑117
- Glucose modifies the effect of endovascular thrombectomy in patients with acute stroke: a pooled-data meta-analysis.Stroke. 2019; 50: 690‑696
- Severity of leukoaraiosis and susceptibility to infarct growth in acute stroke.Stroke. 2008; 39: 1409‑1413
- Leukoaraiosis and sex predict the hyperacute ischemic core volume.Stroke. 2013; 44: 61‑67
- Diabetic microangiopathy: impact of impaired cerebral vasoreactivity and delayed angiogenesis after permanent middle cerebral artery occlusion on stroke damage and cerebral repair in mice.Diabetes. 2015; 64: 999‑1010
- Insulin for Glycaemic Control in Acute Ischaemic Stroke.Cochrane Stroke Group, éditeur Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2011
- Intravenous insulin treatment in acute stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Int J Stroke. 2014; 9: 489‑493
- Cerebral microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes: stroke, cognitive dysfunction, and depression.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2020; 8: 325‑336
- Impaired cerebrovascular hemodynamics are associated with cerebral white matter damage.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2014; 34: 228‑234
- Mitochondrial metabolism and diabetes: mitochondria and diabetes.J Diabetes Investig. 2010; 1: 161‑169
This study was performed in Stroke Unit, University Hospital of Marseille, France