First of all, I am pleased to have an opportunity to discuss our recently published review on vaccine-related retinal artery occlusion (RAO) in adults.
1Publication and reporting bias are well known in medical research,
- Su CK
- Au SCL.
Isolated and combined unilateral central retinal artery and vein occlusions after vaccination. A review of the literature.
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2022; 31 ([published online ahead of print])106552https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2022.106552
2and time lag bias is unavoidable in major public healthcare event as if COVID-19 vaccination.
- Dalton JE
- Bolen SD
- Mascha EJ.
Publication bias: the elephant in the review.
Anesth Analg. 2016; 123: 812-813
3Our review clearly listed out the literature search methods on search engine and database used (MEDLINE and PubMed), keywords and MeSH terms applied (vaccine retinal artery occlusion), as well as the date of the search (10th January 2022). It was very clear that only RAO was discussed, so we cannot accept the accuse by Finsterer J that we did not include several reports published before 10th January 2022, i.e. references number 16 – 23 referred by Dr. Finsterer.
- McGauran N
- Wieseler B
- Kreis J
- Schüler YB
- Kölsch H
- Kaiser T.
Reporting bias in medical research - a narrative review.
Trials. 2010; 11: 37
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Isolated and combined unilateral central retinal artery and vein occlusions after vaccination. A review of the literature.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2022; 31 ([published online ahead of print])106552https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2022.106552
- Publication bias: the elephant in the review.Anesth Analg. 2016; 123: 812-813
- Reporting bias in medical research - a narrative review.Trials. 2010; 11: 37
- Bilateral optic neuritis with branch retinal artery occlusion associated with vaccination.Doc Ophthalmol. 1994; 86: 403-408
- Multiple branch retinal arteriolar occlusions associated with smallpox vaccination.J Infect. 2006; 52: e7-e9
- The second blind spot: Small retinal vessel vasculopathy after vaccination against Neisseria meningitidis and yellow fever.Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2017; 11: S18-S23
- Combined central retinal artery and vein occlusion shortly after mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 vaccination.QJM. 2022; 114: 884-885
- Retinal vascular events after mRNA and adenoviral-vectored COVID-19 vaccines—a case series.Vaccines (Basel). 2021; 9: 1349
- Acute retinal necrosis associated with herpes zoster vaccination.Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2021; 15: 166-168
- Combined central retinal artery and vein occlusion with ischemic optic neuropathy after COVID-19 vaccination.Int Med Case Rep J. 2022; 15: 7-14
- Central retinal artery occlusion following COVID-19 vaccine administration.Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2022; 26 ([published online ahead of print])101430https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajoc.2022.101430
- Susac Syndrome following COVID-19 vaccination: a case report.Vaccines (Basel). 2022; 10: 363
- Branch retinal artery occlusions, paracentral acute middle maculopathy and acute macular neuroretinopathy after COVID-19 vaccinations.Clin Ophthalmol. 2022; 16: 987-992
- Case report: recanalization of branch retinal artery occlusion due to microthrombi following the first dose of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccination.Front Pharmacol. 2022; 13845615
- Vascular retinal findings after COVID-19 vaccination in 11 cases: a coincidence or consequence?.Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2022; 85: 158-165
- Retinal vascular occlusion and SARS-CoV-2 vaccination.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2022; ([published online ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1007/s00417-022-05707-5
Published online: August 08, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.