- •The PRISMA-7 questionnaire is a simple tool to diagnose frailty that can be easily applied in the context of acute stroke.
- •The predictive performance of the PRISMA-7 in acute stroke was similar to that of the Frailty Index and the NIHSS.
- •PRISMA-7 scores ≥ 3 were associated with an 89% probability of being disabled or dead 90 days after the stroke.
- •All participants with a PRISMA-7 score ≥ 3 and an NIHSS ≥ 16 were either disabled or dead 90 days after the stroke.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Ischaemic stroke.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2019; 5: 70
- Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) for 333 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet. 2017; 390: 1260-1344
- Global, regional, and national age-sex-specific mortality for 282 causes of death in 195 countries and territories, 1980–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1736-1788
- Frailty consensus: a call to action.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 392-397
- Frailty syndromes in persons with cerebrovascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Front Neurol. 2019; 10: 1255
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M156
- Clinical frailty independently predicts early mortality after ischaemic stroke.Age Ageing. 2020; 49: 588-591
- Factors associated with ischemic stroke survival and recovery in older adults.Stroke. 2017; 48: 1818-1826
- Acute Stroke.Textbook of Clinical Trials. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ2007 (p. 179–214. 2nd Revised ed)
British Geriatrics Society. Royal College of General Practitioners. Fit for frailty - consensus best practice guidance for the care of older people living in community and outpatient settings. ISBN: 978-0-9929663-1-7 (Part 1).
- PRISMA-7: A case-finding tool to identify older adults with moderate to severe disabilities.Archiv Gerontol Geriatr. 2008; 47: 9-18
- Comparison of geriatric assessment tools for frailty among community elderly.Heliyon. 2020; 6: e04797https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e04797
- Frailty and mortality: an 18-year follow-up study among Finnish community-dwelling older people.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2020; 32: 2013-2019
- Identifying frailty in the Emergency Department—feasibility study.Age and Ageing. 2017; 46: 840-845
- Comparison of frailty screening instruments in the emergency department.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16: E3626
- Predictive validity of PRISMA-7 as a screening instrument for frailty in a hospital setting.BMJ Open. 2020; 10e038768
- Frailty in relation to the accumulation of deficits.J Gerontol Ser A. 2007; 62: 722-727
- Baseline National Institutes of Health stroke scale-adjusted time window for intravenous tissue-type plasminogen activator in acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2014; 45: 1059-1063
- Identifying the loss of functional independence of older people residing in the community: Validation of the PRISMA-7 instrument in Brazil.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2018; 74: 62-67
- Adaptação transcultural para o Brasil do instrumento PRISMA-7: avaliação das equivalências conceitual, de item e semântica.Cad Saúde Pública. 2016; 32
- A standard procedure for creating a frailty index.BMC Geriatr. 2008; 8: 24
- Validation of an index to estimate the prevalence of frailty among community-dwelling seniors.Health Rep. 2013; 24: 10-17
- Frailty in NHANES: Comparing the frailty index and phenotype.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2015; 60: 464-470
- Validation of the National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale, Modified Rankin Scale and Barthel Index in Brazil: the role of cultural adaptation and structured interviewing.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2009; 27: 119-122
- Validation of a structured interview for telephone assessment of the modified rankin scale in Brazilian Stroke Patients.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014; 38: 297-301
Stock C, Hielscher T. DTComPair: Comparison of Binary Diagnostic Tests in a Paired Study Design [Internet]. 2014 [citado 3 de março de 2022]. Disponível em: https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=DTComPair.
- Interrater reliability of the clinical frailty scale by geriatrician and intensivist in patients admitted to the intensive care unit.Can Geriatr J. 2020; 23: 235-241
- Rate, degree, and predictors of recovery from disability following ischemic stroke.Neurology. 2007; 68: 1583-1587