- •The incidence of post-stroke epilepsy in our population was 6.2%.
- •.Acute symptomatic seizures, strokes with cortical involvement and higher mRS at discharge were independent risk factors.
- •In 90% of the patients, treatment with any antiseizure medication was started after the first seizure.
- •As stroke survivors increase, it is critical to obtain relevant data of post-stroke epilepsy diagnosis and treatment.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:ASM (antiseizure medication), ASyS (acute symptomatic seizures), IS (ischemic stroke), mRS (modified Rankin Scale), NIHSS (National Institute of Health Stroke Scale), PSE (post-stroke epilepsy), TIA (transient ischemic attack)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Incidence of stroke in Argentina: initial data from a population based epidemiological study (ESTEPA).Eur Stroke J. 2019; 4: 150-778
- Prevalence of stroke in Argentina: a door-to-door population-based study (EstEPA).Int J Stroke. 2021; 16: 280-287
- Global stroke statistics 2019.Int J Stroke. 2020; 15: 819-838
- Incidence of epilepsy and unprovoked seizures in Rochester, Minnesota: 1935–1984.Epilepsia. 1993; 34: 453-468
- Seizures and epilepsy after ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2004; 35: 1769-1775
- Post-stroke epilepsy.Neurochem Int. 2017; 107: 219-228
- ILAE official report: a practical clinical definition of epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2014; 55: 475-482
- Post-stroke epilepsy.Medicina. 2018; 78 (B Aires): 86-90
- Post-stroke seizure and post-stroke epilepsy.Postgrad Med J. 2006; 82: 568-572
- Correlation of EEG, computerized tomography, and clinical findings. Study of 100 patients with focal delta activity.Arch Neurol. 1981 Jun; 38: 371-372
- Etiology of seizures in the elderly.Epilepsia. 1986; 27: 458-463
- Poststroke epilepsy is associated with a high mortality after a stroke at young age: follow-up of transient ischemic attack and stroke patients and unelucidated risk factor evaluation study.Stroke. 2015; 46 (Aug): 2309-2311
- Epilepsy after TIA or stroke in young patients impairs long-term functional outcome: the FUTURE Study.Neurology. 2013; 81: 1907-1913
- Prior hospitalization for stroke, diabetes, myocardial infarction, and subsequent risk of unprovoked seizures.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 301-307
- Seizures after stroke: a prospective multicenter study.Arch Neurol. 2000; 57: 1617-1622
- Risk factors for developing seizures after a stroke.Epilepsia. 1993; 34: 141-143
- Stroke-related epilepsy.Eur J Neurol. 2019; 26 (-e3): 18
- Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke. Definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial. TOAST. Trial of Org 10172 in Acute Stroke Treatment.Stroke. 1993; 24 (Jan): 35-41
NINDS Stroke Common Data Element (CDE) classification [Internet]. Accessed June 2021. Available from: https://www.commondataelements.ninds.nih.gov/Stroke
- Neuroimaging characteristics of small-vessel disease in older adults with normal cognition, mild cognitive impairment, and Alzheimer disease.Dement Geriatr Cogn Dis Extra. 2018; 8: 199-206
Python programming language [Internet]. Accessed June 2021. Available from: https://www.python.org/.
- Prediction of late seizures after ischaemic stroke with a novel prognostic model (the SeLECT score): a multivariable prediction model development and validation study.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17 (Feb): 143-152
- Seizures after cerebrovascular events: risk factors and clinical features.Seizure. 2013; 22: 275-282
- Are early seizures predictive of epilepsy after a stroke? Results of a population-based study.Neuroepidemiology. 2015; 45: 50-58
- Effective cerebrovascular thrombectomy requires well-organized structures: real world experiences of a regional stroke network between 2012–2015.Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2017; 129: 96-101
- The SeLECT score is inappropriate to predict post-stroke epilepsy.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17 (Feb): 106-107
- Late-onset seizures and risk of subsequent stroke: a systematic review.Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 31: 9-12
- Evidence for involvement of the CD40/CD40L system in post-stroke epilepsy.Neurosci Lett. 2014; 567: 6-10
- Hospital revisits for post-ischemic stroke epilepsy after acute stroke interventions.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2022; 31106155
- Incidence and management of seizures after ischemic stroke: systematic review and meta-analysis.Neurology. 2017; 89: 1220-1228
- Seizures in patients with symptomatic cervical artery occlusion by dissection and by atherosclerosis.Eur J Neurol. 2009; 16: 608-611
- Young adult ischaemic stroke related acute symptomatic and late seizures: risk factors.Eur J Neurol. 2013; 20: 1247-1255
- Over-expression of laminin correlates to recovery of vasogenic edema following status epilepticus.Neuroscience. 2014; 275: 146-161
- Cognitive impairment and seizures in patients with lacunar strokes.Eur Neurol. 2009; 61: 159-163
- Prevalence and subtypes of radiological cerebrovascular disease in late-onset isolated seizures and epilepsy.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2013; 115: 591-596
- Cerebrovascular disease burden in late-onset non-lesional focal epilepsy.Seizure. 2019; 66: 31-35
- Randomized controlled trials of antiepileptic drugs for the treatment of post-stroke seizures: a systematic review with network meta-analysis.Seizure. 2018; 61: 57-62
- Consensus on acute ischemic stroke.Med. 2019; 79
- Poststroke seizure: optimizing its management.Stroke Vasc Neurol. 2019; 4: 48-56