- •The Japanese guideline recommend multidisciplinary team approach for stroke dysphagia patients.
- •The strategies to effectively utilise a multidisciplinary team have not been elucidated.
- •Combined early oral healthcare and early mobilisation deceased the stroke-associated pneumonia incidence within 7days.
- •Combined early intervention decreased the number of patients who need medical care after rehabilitation.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Factors influencing in-hospital mortality and morbidity in patients treated on a stroke unit.Neurology. 2011; 77: 965-972
- The impact of pneumonia on hospital stay among patients hospitalized for acute stroke.Neurosciences (Riyadh). 2014; 19: 118-123
- Diagnosis of stroke-associated pneumonia: Recommendations from the pneumonia in stroke consensus group.Stroke. 2015; 46: 2335-2340
- How is pneumonia diagnosed in clinical stroke research? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Stroke. 2015; 46: 1202-1209
- Stroke-associated pneumonia: major advances and obstacles.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013; 35: 430-443
- Complications following acute ischemic stroke.Eur Neurol. 2002; 48: 133-140
- Derivation and validation of a clinical system for predicting pneumonia in acute stroke.Neuroepidemiology. 2010; 34: 193-199
- Dysphagia screening decreases pneumonia in acute stroke patients admitted to the stroke intensive care unit.J Neurol Sci. 2011; 306: 38-41
- Development of a clinical score (A2DS2) to predict pneumonia in acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2012; 43: 2617-2623
- Factors associated with risk of stroke-associated pneumonia in patients with dysphagia: A systematic Review.Dysphagia. 2020; 35: 735-744
- Oral care after stroke: Where are we now?.Eur Stroke J. 2018; 3: 347-354
- Prophylactic antibiotics after acute stroke for reducing pneumonia in patients with dysphagia (STROKE-INF): a prospective, cluster-randomised, open-label, masked endpoint, controlled clinical trial.Lancet. 2015; 386: 1835-1844
- Update on management options for dysphagia after acute stroke.Br J Neurosci Nurs. 2015; 11: 10-19
- Safety and effect of metoclopramide to prevent pneumonia in patients with stroke fed via nasogastric tubes trial.Stroke. 2015; 46: 454-460
- Reduction in the incidence of poststroke nosocomial pneumonia by using the "turn-mob" program.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2010; 19: 23-28
- Association between out-of-bed mobilization and complications of immobility in acute phase of severe stroke: A retrospective observational study.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2020; 29105112
- Impact of dysphagia assessment and management on risk of stroke-associated pneumonia: a systematic review.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2018; 46: 99-107
- Improving post-stroke dysphagia outcomes through a standardized and multidisciplinary protocol: an exploratory cohort study.Dysphagia. 2014; 29: 704-712
- The multidisciplinary swallowing team approach decreases pneumonia onset in acute stroke patients.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0154608
- Behavioural intervention for dysphagia in acute stroke: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet Neurol. 2006; 5: 31-37
- Meteorological factors and seasonal stroke rates: a four-year comprehensive study.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2019; 28: 2324-2331
- The revised Hasegawa's Dementia Scale (HDS-R)-evaluation of its usefulness as a screening test for dementia.J.H.K.C. Psych. 1994; 4: 20-24
- Reliability and validity of a tool to measure the severity of dysphagia: the Food Intake LEVEL Scale.J Pain Symptom Manag. 2013; 46: 201-206
- Oral care reduces pneumonia in older patients in nursing homes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 430-433
- Interventions for improving oral health in people after stroke.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 12CD003864
- Sitting position improves consciousness level in patients with cerebral disorders.Open J Ther Rehabil. 2013; 1: 1-3
Grant support: None