- •Ro25-6981 treatment improves spatial learning and memory in I/R rats.
- •Ro25-6981 treatment alleviates hippocampal neuronal damage in I/R-induced rats.
- •Ro25-6981 treatment ameliorates I/R-induced oxidative stress by activating the Nrf2-ARE signaling pathway.
Oxidative stress plays a crucial role in the initiation and progression of cerebral ischemia‒reperfusion injury (CIRI). Therefore, ameliorating oxidative damage is considered to be a beneficial strategy for the treatment of CIRI. NMDAR NR2B subunit antagonists have been reported to be beneficial for synaptic plasticity, neuropathic pain, epilepsy, and cerebral ischemia. However, it remains unclear whether the NR2B subunit antagonist Ro25-6981 has any effect on CIRI.
In this study, the Morris water maze test and passive avoidance test were used to detect spatial learning and memory. Neuronal loss was measured by Nissl staining. The expression of NSE was assayed by immunohistochemistry. The activities of MDA, 8-OHdG, SOD, GSH-Px, GST and CAT were detected by assay kits. Real-time PCR was used to detect the mRNA levels of hippocampal SOD, GSH-Px and HO-1. Western blotting was used to measure the activation of the Nrf2/ARE pathway by Ro25-6981.
Ro25-6981 ameliorated cognitive deficits and neuronal damage induced by ischemia‒reperfusion (I/R). Neuronal injury was decreased and the expression of NSE was increased in the CA1 regions of the hippocampus of I/R rats after Ro25-6981 treatment. Moreover, Ro25-6981 alleviated the levels of MDA and 8-OHdG by elevating the activities of SOD, GSH-Px, GST and CAT. Meanwhile, the mRNA levels of SOD, GSH-Px and HO-1 were increased in I/R rats after Ro25-6981 treatment. Furthermore, Ro25-6981 promoted the translocation of Nrf2 to the nucleus, promoting the expression of the Nrf2 downstream genes HO-1 and NQO1.
The present study indicated that the improvement in the antioxidant properties of Ro25-6981 is mediated by the Nrf2/ARE pathway. This is the first study to demonstrate a favorable effect of Ro25-6981 on cognitive impairment in a CIRI rat model, rendering this NR2B subunit antagonist a promising agent for the treatment or prevention of CIRI.
Abbreviations:CIRI (cerebral ischemia‒reperfusion injury), I/R (ischemia‒reperfusion), CNS (central nervous system), Nrf2 (nuclear factor E2 related factor 2), ARE (antioxidant response element), HO-1 (heme oxygenase-1), NQO1 (NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase), SOD (superoxide dismutase), GSH-Px (glutathione peroxidase), GST (glutathione S-transferase), CAT (catalase), NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate), NSE (neuron-specific enolase), MDA (malondialdehyde), 8-OHdG (8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Animal models of cerebral ischemia: a review.Biomed Pharmacother. 2020; 131110686
- Levodopa improves cognitive function and the deficits of structural synaptic plasticity in hippocampus induced by global cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats.Front Neurosci. 2020; 14586321
- Electroacupuncture pretreatment prevents cognitive impairment induced by cerebral ischemia-reperfusion via adenosine A1 receptors in rats.Front Aging Neurosci. 2021; 13680706
- LncRNA NKILA relieves astrocyte inflammation and neuronal oxidative stress after cerebral ischemia/reperfusion by inhibiting the NF-kappaB pathway.Mol Immunol. 2021; 139: 32-41
- Ethyl-acetate fraction of Trichilia catigua protects against oxidative stress and neuroinflammation after cerebral ischemia/reperfusion.J Ethnopharmacol. 2018; 221: 109-118
- Reactive oxygen species play a biphasic role in brain ischemia.J Investig Surg. 2019; 32: 97-102
- The neuroprotective activities of natural products through the Nrf2 upregulation.Phytother Res. 2019; 33: 2256-2273
- Cypermethrin-induced cortical neurons apoptosis via the Nrf2/ARE signaling pathway.Pestic Biochem Physiol. 2020; 165104547
- Nrf2-Keap1 signaling in oxidative and reductive stress.Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2018; 1865: 721-733
- Targeting NLRP3 inflammasome with Nrf2 inducers in central nervous system disorders.Front Immunol. 2022; 13865772
- Pelargonidin ameliorates MCAO-induced cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats by the action on the Nrf2/HO-1 pathway.Transl Neurosci. 2021; 12: 20-31
- Biochanin A provides neuroprotection against cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury by Nrf2-mediated inhibition of oxidative stress and inflammation signaling pathway in rats.Med Sci Monit. 2019; 25: 8975-8983
- Ro 25-6981, a highly potent and selective blocker of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors containing the NR2B subunit. Characterization in vitro.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1997; 283: 1285-1292
- The neurogenesis actuator and NR2B/NMDA receptor antagonist Ro25-6981 consistently improves spatial memory retraining via brain region-specific gene expression.J Mol Neurosci. 2018; 65: 167-178
- Blockade of NMDA GluN2B receptors selectively impairs behavioral flexibility but not initial discrimination learning.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011; 216: 525-535
- Lanthanum chloride impairs memory in rats by disturbing the glutamate-glutamine cycle and over-activating NMDA receptors.Food Chem Toxicol. 2018; 113: 1-13
- Synaptic and extrasynaptic plasticity in glutamatergic circuits involving dentate granule cells following chronic N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor inhibition.J Neurophysiol. 2013; 109: 1535-1547
- Effects of glutamate-related drugs on anxiety and compulsive behavior in rats with obsessive-compulsive disorder.Int J Neurosci. 2020; 130: 551-560
- Inhibition of NR2B-containing N-methyl-D-Aspartate Receptors (NMDARs) in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis, a model of multiple sclerosis.Iran J Pharm Res. 2014; 13: 695-705
- NMDA receptor NR2B subunits contribute to PTZ-kindling-induced hippocampal astrocytosis and oxidative stress.Brain Res Bull. 2015; 114: 70-78
- Neuroprotection of Ro25-6981 against ischemia/reperfusion-induced brain injury via inhibition of autophagy.Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2017; 37: 743-752
- Edaravone dexborneol alleviates cerebral ischemic injury via MKP-1-mediated inhibition of MAPKs and activation of Nrf2.Biomed Res Int. 2022; 20224013707
- A new model of bilateral hemispheric ischemia in the unanesthetized rat.Stroke. 1979; 10: 267-272
- Conditional deletion of Foxg1 alleviates demyelination and facilitates remyelination via the Wnt signaling pathway in cuprizone-induced demyelinated mice.Neurosci Bull. 2021; 37: 15-30
- Probucol, a "non-statin" cholesterol-lowering drug, ameliorates D-galactose induced cognitive deficits by alleviating oxidative stress via Keap1/Nrf2 signaling pathway in mice.Aging (Albany NY). 2019; 11: 8542-8555
- Complement C1q binding protein regulates T cells' mitochondrial fitness to affect their survival, proliferation, and anti-tumor immune function.Cancer Sci. 2022; 113: 875-890
- Neurohistological and behavioral changes following the four-vessel occlusion/internal carotid artery model of chronic cerebral hypoperfusion: comparison between normotensive and spontaneously hypertensive rats.Behav Brain Res. 2013; 252: 214-221
- Protective effects of dopamine D2/D3 receptor agonist piribedil on learning and memory of rats exposed to global cerebral ischemia-reperfusion.Neurosci Lett. 2018; 684: 181-186
- Repeated restraint stress led to cognitive dysfunction by NMDA receptor-mediated hippocampal CA3 dendritic spine impairments in juvenile sprague-dawley rats.Front Mol Neurosci. 2020; 13552787
- Correlation of brain biomarker Neuron Specific Enolase (NSE) with degree of disability and neurological worsening in cerebrovascular stroke.Indian J Clin Biochem. 2012; 27: 186-190
- Oxidative stress and the central nervous system.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017; 360: 201-205
- Curcumin-laden exosomes target ischemic brain tissue and alleviate cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury by inhibiting ROS-mediated mitochondrial apoptosis.Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2020; 117111314
- Ameliorating effect of pentadecapeptide derived from Cyclina sinensis on cyclophosphamide-induced nephrotoxicity.Mar Drugs. 2020; 18: 462
- Glutamate: a truly functional amino acid.Amino Acids. 2013; 45: 413-418
- Glutamate as a neurotransmitter in the healthy brain.J Neural Transm. 2014; 121: 799-817
- Mitochondrial dysfunction and glutamate excitotoxicity studied in primary neuronal cultures.Curr Mol Med. 2004; 4: 149-177
- Xiaochaihutang improves the cortical astrocyte edema in thioacetamide-induced rat acute hepatic encephalopathy by activating NRF2 pathway.Front Pharmacol. 2020; 11: 382
- Akt /GSK3beta / Nrf2 / HO-1 pathway activation by flurbiprofen protects the hippocampal neurons in a rat model of glutamate excitotoxicity.Neuropharmacology. 2021; 196108654
- Cyanidin-3-glucoside activates Nrf2-antioxidant response element and protects against glutamate-induced oxidative and endoplasmic reticulum stress in HT22 hippocampal neuronal cells.BMC Complement Med Ther. 2020; 20: 46
- Attenuation of reserpine-induced pain/depression dyad by gentiopicroside through downregulation of GluN2B receptors in the amygdala of mice.Neuromolecular Med. 2014; 16: 350-359
- The berry constituents quercetin, kaempferol, and pterostilbene synergistically attenuate reactive oxygen species: involvement of the Nrf2-ARE signaling pathway.Food Chem Toxicol. 2014; 72: 303-311
- DJ-1 alleviates oxidative stress injury by activating the Nrf2 pathway in rats with cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury.Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2021; 41: 679-686
- Sirtuin 6 protects the brain from cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury through NRF2 activation.Neuroscience. 2017; 366: 95-104
- Salidroside inhibited cerebral ischemia/reperfusion-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis via Nrf2/Trx1 signaling pathway.Metab Brain Dis. 2022; 37: 2965-2978
- Edaravone dexborneol protects cerebral ischemia reperfusion injury through activating Nrf2/HO-1 signaling pathway in mice.Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2022; 36: 790-800
- Nomilin protects against cerebral ischemia-reperfusion induced neurological deficits and blood-brain barrier disruption via the Nrf2 pathway.Food Funct. 2019; 10: 5323-5332
Published online: December 29, 2022
Accepted: December 24, 2022
Received in revised form: December 20, 2022
Received: November 12, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.