Many studies have shown that cytochrome P450 (CYP) gene polymorphisms are usually associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. To explore the association of CYP2C8 and CYP2J2 gene polymorphisms with hypertensive intracerebral hemorrhage (HICH) in the Han Chinese population.
Forty HICH patients and 40 control subjects were recruited for this study. Two single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) (rs1058932, rs2275622) in the CYP2C8 gene and two SNPs (rs2271800, rs1155002) in the CYP2J2 gene were selected for genotyping by direct sequencing. Statistical analysis was applied to examine the effect of genetic variation on HICH.
We found that variant alleles of CYP2C8 rs1058932 (A) and rs2275622 (C) were both significantly associated with HICH, especially in females. We also found significant associations of CYP2C8 rs1058932 (A) and rs2275622 (C) variant alleles with poor outcomes in HICH patients, especially in males.
CYP2C8 gene polymorphisms might increase the risk of HICH in the Han Chinese population and might lead to poor outcomes. This finding adds to the body of literature supporting novel therapeutic strategies for HICH.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acute Hypertensive Response in Patients With Acute Intracerebral Hemorrhage: A Narrative Review.Neurology. 2021; 97: 316-329
- Resuming Anticoagulation After Cerebral Intraparenchymal Hemorrhage-Reply.JAMA. 2019; 322: 694-695
- Iron toxicity, lipid peroxidation and ferroptosis after intracerebral haemorrhage.Stroke Vasc Neurol. 2019; 4: 93-95
- Microglia and macrophage phenotypes in intracerebral haemorrhage injury: therapeutic opportunities.Brain. 2020; 143: 1297-1314
- Neuroinflammation after Intracerebral Hemorrhage and Potential Therapeutic Targets.J Stroke. 2020; 22: 29-46
- Neuroinflammation in intracerebral haemorrhage: immunotherapies with potential for translation.Lancet Neurol. 2020; 19: 1023-1032
- Cytochrome P450 in neurological disease.Curr Drug Metab. 2004; 5: 225-234
- A novel role for P450 eicosanoids in the neurogenic control of cerebral blood flow in the rat.Exp Physiol. 2007; 92: 653-658
- Sex- and isoform-specific mechanism of neuroprotection by transgenic expression of P450 epoxygenase in vascular endothelium.Exp Neurol. 2016; 279: 75-85
- Xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes and transporters in the normal human brain: regional and cellular mapping as a basis for putative roles in cerebral function.Drug metabolism and disposition: the biological fate of chemicals. 2009; 37: 1528-1538
- Identifying endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor: recent approaches to assay the role of epoxyeicosatrienoic acids.Jpn J Pharmacol. 2001; 86: 369-375
- Anti-inflammatory properties of cytochrome P450 epoxygenase-derived eicosanoids.Science (New York, NY). 1999; 285: 1276-1279
- Single nucleotide polymorphisms in the CYP2J2 and CYP2C8 genes and the risk of hypertension.Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2005; 15: 7-13
- A comprehensive study revealed SNP-SNP interactions and a sex-dependent relationship between polymorphisms of the CYP2J2 gene and hypertension risk.Hypertension research: official journal of the Japanese Society of Hypertension. 2019; 42: 257-272
- Genetic variance in CYP2C8 and increased risk of myocardial infarction.Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2010; 20: 426-434
- CYP2J2 and CYP2C8 polymorphisms and coronary heart disease risk: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study.Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2007; 17: 349-358
- Association of CYP2J2 gene polymorphisms with ischemic stroke and stroke subtypes in Chinese population.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96: e6266
- Cerebral Small Vessel Disease is Associated with Genetic Variations in CYP2J.Current neurovascular research. 2017; 14: 378-384
- Haplotype analysis of the CYP2J2 gene associated with myocardial infarction in a Chinese Han population.Cell Biochem Funct. 2010; 28: 435-439
- Evidence for association of polymorphisms in CYP2J2 and susceptibility to essential hypertension.Ann Hum Genet. 2007; 71: 519-525
- Genetic deletion or pharmacological inhibition of soluble epoxide hydrolase reduces brain damage and attenuates neuroinflammation after intracerebral hemorrhage.J Neuroinflammation. 2017; 14: 230
- Cytochrome P450 2J2: distribution, function, regulation, genetic polymorphisms and clinical significance.Drug Metab Rev. 2013; 45: 311-352
- Cytochrome P450 2C8 pharmacogenetics: a review of clinical studies.Pharmacogenomics. 2009; 10: 1489-1510
- The ABCs of measuring intracerebral hemorrhage volumes.Stroke. 1996; 27: 1304-1305
- The contribution of CYP2C gene subfamily involved in epoxygenase pathway of arachidonic acids metabolism to hypertension susceptibility in Russian population.Clinical and experimental hypertension (New York, NY: 1993). 2017; 39: 306-311
- Impact of CYP2C8 and 2C9 polymorphisms on coronary artery disease and myocardial infarction in the LURIC cohort.Pharmacogenomics. 2010; 11: 1359-1365
- CYP Genetic Variants, CYP Metabolite Levels, and Neurologic Deterioration in Acute Ischemic Stroke in Chinese Population.Journal of stroke and cerebrovascular diseases: the official journal of National Stroke Association. 2017; 26: 969-978
- Genetic markers in the EET metabolic pathway are associated with outcomes in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism: official journal of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 2015; 35: 267-276
- Polymorphisms in human CYP2C8 decrease metabolism of the anticancer drug paclitaxel and arachidonic acid.Pharmacogenetics. 2001; 11: 597-607
- Cloning of CYP2J2 gene and identification of functional polymorphisms.Molecular pharmacology. 2002; 61: 840-852
- Risk of coronary artery disease associated with polymorphism of the cytochrome P450 epoxygenase CYP2J2.Circulation. 2004; 110: 2132-2136
- Roles of the epoxygenase CYP2J2 in the endothelium.Prostaglandins & other lipid mediators. 2013; 107: 56-63
- Causal relationship of susceptibility genes to ischemic stroke: comparison to ischemic heart disease and biochemical determinants.PloS one. 2010; 5: e9136
- Are myocardial infarction–associated single-nucleotide polymorphisms associated with ischemic stroke?.Stroke. 2012; 43: 980-986
- Fibrinolytic gene polymorphism and ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2005; 36: 2077-2081
- Risk factors for atherosclerotic cardiovascular outcomes in different arterial territories.Journal of cardiovascular risk. 1994; 1: 333-339
- Peripheral and cerebral atherothrombosis and cardiovascular events in different vascular territories: insights from the Framingham Study.Current atherosclerosis reports. 2006; 8: 317-323
- Gender-Specific Effect of CYP2C8*3 on the Risk of Essential Hypertension in Bulgarian Patients.Biochemical genetics. 2015; 53: 319-333
- Allelic variants of cytochromes P450 2C modify the risk for acute myocardial infarction.Pharmacogenetics. 2003; 13: 715-720
- Hypertension, cardiovascular risk and polymorphisms in genes controlling the cytochrome P450 pathway of arachidonic acid: A sex-specific relation?.Prostaglandins & other lipid mediators. 2012; 98: 75-85
- Sex Differences in the Expression of Drug-Metabolizing and Transporter Genes in Human Liver.Journal of drug metabolism & toxicology. 2012; 31000119
- Tissue distribution and gender-divergent expression of 78 cytochrome P450 mRNAs in mice. Toxicological sciences: an official journal of the Society of.Toxicology. 2011; 124: 261-277
- Activity, inhibition, and induction of cytochrome P450 2J2 in adult human primary cardiomyocytes.Drug metabolism and disposition: the biological fate of chemicals. 2013; 41: 2087-2094
- Differential effects of soluble epoxide hydrolase inhibition and CYP2J2 overexpression on postischemic cardiac function in aged mice.Prostaglandins & other lipid mediators. 2013; 104-105: 8-17
Published online: December 31, 2022
Accepted: December 27, 2022
Received in revised form: December 11, 2022
Received: October 6, 2022
Our work was performed in Linyi People's Hospital.
Funding: This research was supported by a grant from Linyi Science and Technology Development Program, China (201919010).
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.