- •Endocarditis prevalence in acute stroke patients is 1.0%.
- •Certain laboratory and clinical parameters are early predictors of endocarditis.
- •Patients with acute stroke and endocarditis have a poor outcome at discharge.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Stroke in patients with infective endocarditis: a 15-year single-center cohort study.Eur Neurol. 2018; 80: 171-178
- Clinical presentation and multi-parametric screening surrogates of ischemic stroke patients suffering from infective endocarditis.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016; 41: 60-67
- Infective endocarditis is associated with worse outcomes in stroke: a Thailand National Database Study.Int J Clin Pract. 2020; 74: e13614
- 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of infective endocarditis: the task force for the management of infective endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Endorsed by: European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS), the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM).Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 3075-3128
- Impact of stroke on therapeutic decision making in infective endocarditis.J Neurol. 2010; 257: 315-321
- Cardioembolic stroke: clinical features, specific cardiac disorders and prognosis.Curr Cardiol Rev. 2010; 6: 150-161
- C-reactive protein is more sensitive than erythrocyte sedimentation rate for diagnosis of infective endocarditis.Infection. 1997; 25: 82-85
- C-reactive protein elevation in patients with atrial arrhythmias: inflammatory mechanisms and persistence of atrial fibrillation.Circulation. 2001; 104: 2886-2891
- High-sensitivity C-reactive protein and soluble CD40 ligand as indices of inflammation and platelet activation in 880 patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: relationship to stroke risk factors, stroke risk stratification schema, and prognosis.Stroke. 2007; 38: 1229-1237
- Atrial fibrillation is a possible marker of frailty in hospitalized patients: results of the GIFA study.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2010; 22: 129-133
- Infective endocarditis and cancer in the elderly.Eur J Epidemiol. 2016; 31: 41-49
- Diagnostic accuracy of transthoracic echocardiography for infective endocarditis findings using transesophageal echocardiography as the reference standard: a meta-analysis.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2017; 30 (e638): 639-646
- The risk of stroke and death in patients with aortic and mitral valve endocarditis.Am Heart J. 2001; 142: 75-80
- Thrombolysis for ischemic stroke associated with infective endocarditis: results from the nationwide inpatient sample.Stroke. 2013; 44: 2917-2919
- Safety and outcomes of mechanical thrombectomy for acute stroke related to infective endocarditis: a case-control study.Int J Stroke. 2021; 16: 585-592
- The relationship between the initiation of antimicrobial therapy and the incidence of stroke in infective endocarditis: an analysis from the ICE Prospective Cohort Study (ICE-PCS).Am Heart J. 2007; 154: 1086-1094
Institutions: The patients were recruited in the Stroke Unit and in the Neurological Intensive Care Unit of Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli, Rome, Italy. This work was performed in the department of neuroscience of Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli, Rome, Italy.
Grant Support: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.