- •NDRG2 is highly expressed in the plasma of IS patients.
- •Low expression of mTOR is identified in plasma of IS patients.
- •The PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway is impaired by NDRG2 via dephosphorylation.
- •Blockage of NDRG2 inhibits neuronal apoptosis and autophagy.
- •BEZ235 reverses the inhibitory effect of sh-NDRG2 on neuronal apoptosis and autophagy.
Astrocytic N-myc downstream-regulated gene 2 (NDRG2), a differentiation- and stress-associated molecule, has been involved in the cause of ischemic stroke (IS). However, its downstream effector in IS remains unclear. This study aimed to characterize expression of NDRG2 in IS patients and rats and to investigate the underlying mechanism.
The protein expression of NDRG2 and mammalian target of the rapamycin (mTOR) and the extent of mTOR phosphorylation in plasma of IS patients were detected by ELISA. An oxygen-glucose deprivation model was established in mouse neuronal cells CATH.a, followed by cell counting kit-8, flow cytometry, TUNEL, and western blot assays to examine cell viability, apoptosis and autophagy. Finally, the effect of NDRG2-mediated phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/protein kinase-B/mTOR (PI3K/AKT/mTOR) pathway on neuronal apoptosis and autophagy was verified in rats treated with middle cerebral artery occlusion.
NDRG2 was highly expressed in the plasma of IS patients, while the extent of mTOR phosphorylation was reduced in IS patients. NDRG2 blocked the PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling through dephosphorylation. Depletion of NDRG2 suppressed apoptosis and autophagy in CATH.a cells, which was reversed by a dual inhibitor of PI3K and mTOR, BEZ235. In vivo experiments confirmed that NDRG2 promoted neuronal apoptosis and autophagy by dephosphorylating and blocking the PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling.
The present study has shown that NDRG2 impairs the PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway via dephosphorylation to promote neuronal apoptosis and autophagy in IS. These findings provide potential targets for future clinical therapies for IS.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neuroprotection for ischaemic stroke: current status and challenges.Pharmacol Ther. 2015; 146: 23-34
- Autophagy in ischemic stroke.Prog Neurobiol. 2018; 163-164: 98-117
- Autophagy in Neurons.Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2019; 35: 477-500
- Astrocytes, therapeutic targets for neuroprotection and neurorestoration in ischemic stroke.Prog Neurobiol. 2016; 144: 103-120
- Astrocyte Activation in Neurovascular Damage and Repair Following Ischaemic Stroke.Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22
- Review: astrocytes in Alzheimer's disease and other age-associated dementias: a supporting player with a central role.Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2017; 43: 281-298
- Astrocyte-specific NDRG2 gene: functions in the brain and neurological diseases.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2020; 77: 2461-2472
- N-Myc Downstream-Regulated Gene 2 (Ndrg2) Is involved in ischemia-hypoxia-induced astrocyte apoptosis: a novel target for stroke therapy.Mol Neurobiol. 2017; 54: 3286-3299
- Spatiotemporal expression of NDRG2 in the human fetal brain.Ann Anat. 2019; 221: 148-155
- Nervous NDRGs: the N-myc downstream-regulated gene family in the central and peripheral nervous system.Neurogenetics. 2019; 20: 173-186
- Let-7f Regulates the hypoxic response in cerebral ischemia by targeting NDRG3.Neurochem Res. 2017; 42: 446-454
- Neuroprotective effects of the anticancer drug NVP-BEZ235 (dactolisib) on amyloid-beta 1-42 induced neurotoxicity and memory impairment.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 25226
- Neuroprotective effects of exercise on brain edema and neurological movement disorders following the cerebral ischemia and reperfusion in rats.Basic Clin Neurosci. 2017; 8: 77-84
- Emerging neuroprotective strategies for the treatment of ischemic stroke: an overview of clinical and preclinical studies.Exp Neurol. 2021; 335113518
- N-myc downstream-regulated gene 2 protects blood-brain barrier integrity following cerebral ischemia.Glia. 2018; 66: 1432-1446
- NDRG2 as a marker protein for brain astrocytes.Cell Tissue Res. 2014; 357: 31-41
- NDRG2 is expressed on enteric glia and altered in conditions of inflammation and oxygen glucose deprivation/reoxygenation.J Mol Histol. 2021; 52: 101-111
- NDRG2 Expression correlates with neurofibrillary tangles and microglial pathology in the ageing brain.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21
- Astroglial N-myc downstream-regulated gene 2 protects the brain from cerebral edema induced by stroke.Glia. 2021; 69: 281-295
- Death-associated protein kinase 1 phosphorylates NDRG2 and induces neuronal cell death.Cell Death Differ. 2017; 24: 238-250
- The microRNA miR-375-3p and the tumor suppressor NDRG2 are involved in sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Cell Physiol Biochem. 2019; 52: 1412-1426
- Roles of N-myc downstream-regulated gene 2 in the central nervous system: molecular basis and relevance to pathophysiology.Anat Sci Int. 2021; 96: 1-12
- The progress of neuronal autophagy in cerebral ischemia stroke: mechanisms, roles and research methods.J Neurol Sci. 2019; 400: 72-82
- Inhibition of autophagy prevents hippocampal pyramidal neuron death after hypoxic-ischemic injury.Am J Pathol. 2008; 172: 454-469
- IL-17A-Mediated excessive autophagy aggravated neuronal ischemic injuries via Src-PP2B-mTOR pathway.Front Immunol. 2019; 10: 2952
- Autophagy and inflammation in ischemic stroke.Neural Regen Res. 2020; 15: 1388-1396
- The mTOR cell signaling pathway is crucial to the long-term protective effects of ischemic postconditioning against stroke.Neurosci Lett. 2018; 676: 58-65
- The role of PI3K/AKT/mTOR pathway in the modulation of autophagy and the clearance of protein aggregates in neurodegeneration.Cell Signal. 2014; 26: 2694-2701
- The cardioprotection of the insulin-mediated PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling pathway.Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2014; 14: 433-442
- Natural products attenuate PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling pathway: a promising strategy in regulating neurodegeneration.Phytomedicine. 2021; 91153664
- Protective autophagy or autophagic death: effects of BEZ235 on chronic myelogenous leukemia.Cancer Manag Res. 2019; 11: 7933-7951
Published online: January 16, 2023
Accepted: January 9, 2023
Received in revised form: December 28, 2022
Received: October 27, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.