- •At least half of patients in our sample, who were diagnosed with transient ischemic attack or stroke in the past three years and had Mini-Mental State Examination score ≥ 22, would be interested in self-management programs.
- •Survivors are especially interested in health education and risk management.
- •Program topic and schedule and financial incentive/burden are key to improving program uptake.
Background and purpose
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Burden of stroke in Singapore.Int J Stroke. 2008; 3: 51-54
Ramani NV AA, Hoon AY, Chan B, Meng CH, He KK, Young S, Foo TK. Singapore Stroke Registry Annual Report 2015. 2015. National Registry of Disease Office.
- Definition and evaluation of transient ischemic attack: a scientific statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council; Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia; Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention; Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; and the Interdisciplinary Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease: the American Academy of Neurology affirms the value of this statement as an educational tool for neurologists.Stroke. 2009; 40: 2276-2293
- One-year risk of stroke after transient ischemic attack or minor stroke.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1533-1542
- Adherence to treatment in stroke patients.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16: 196
- Primary and secondary prevention of ischemic stroke and cerebral hemorrhage: JACC focus seminar.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 75: 1804-1818
- Prevention of stroke: a global perspective.Lancet North Am Ed. 2018; 392: 1269-1278
- Stroke literacy in Singapore: data from a survey of public housing estate residents.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2014; 43: 454-463
- Evaluation of the post stroke checklist: a pilot study in the United Kingdom and Singapore.Int J Stroke. 2014; 9: 76-84
- Self-management skills in chronic disease management: what role does health literacy have?.Med Decis Making. 2016; 36: 741-759
- Exploring self-management within hospital-based stroke care: current and future opportunities.Disabil Rehabil. 2022; 44: 2340-2346
- Supporting self-management for patients with complex medical needs: recommendations of a working group.Chronic Illness. 2007; 3: 167-175
- Self-management support interventions for stroke survivors: a systematic meta-review.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0131448
- Self-management interventions for people with chronic conditions in primary care: examples from arthritis, asthma and diabetes.Health Educ J. 2002; 61: 365-378
- Recovery following stroke: the role of self-management education.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 64: 735-746
- Educational needs of patients with a stroke and their caregivers: a systematic review of the literature.Patient Educ Couns. 2011; 85: 14-25
- What is important in supporting self-management in community stroke rehabilitation? AQ methodology study.Disabil Rehabil. 2022; : 1-9
- Clinicians' Perspectives on the Barriers and Facilitators to Implementation of An Evidence-Based Stroke Self-Management Program.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2022; 103: e23-e24
- Helping patients help themselves: a systematic review of self-management support strategies in primary health care practice.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0220116
- Assessing Preferences Regarding Healthcare Interventions that Involve Non-Health Outcomes.Patient Patient-Center Outcom Res. 2010; 3: 1-10
- Successful implementation of self-management health innovations.J Public Health. 2020; : 1-15
- Stroke management: Informal caregivers’ burdens and strians of caring for stroke survivors.Ann Phys Rehab Med. 2015; 58: 98-103
- Eliciting public preferences for healthcare: a systematic review of techniques.Health Technol Assess. 2001; 5: 1-186
- The Modified Mini-Mental State Examination test: normative data for Singapore Chinese older adults and its performance in detecting early cognitive impairment.Singapore Med J. 2012; 53: 458-462
- Preferences for e-mental health interventions in Germany: a discrete choice experiment.Value in Health. 2021; 24: 421-430
- Patient preferences for medications in managing type 2 diabetes mellitus: a discrete choice experiment.Value in Health. 2020; 23: 842-850
- A think aloud study comparing the validity and acceptability of discrete choice and best worst scaling methods.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e90635
Johnson FR, Kanninen B, Bingham M, et al. Experimental design for stated-choice studies. Valuing environmental amenities using stated choice studies. Springer, 2006, pp.159-202.
- Who pays attention in stated-choice surveys?.Health Econ. 2010; 19: 111-118
Johnson R and Orme B. Getting the most from CBC. Sawtooth Software Research Paper Series. Sequim, WA: Sawtooth Software 2003.
Train KE. Discrete choice methods with simulation. Cambridge university press, 2009.
- A guide to measuring and interpreting attribute importance.Patient-Patient-Center Outcom Res. 2019; 12: 287-295
- A pilot study investigating the impact of mindfulness based interventions on the psychosocial well-being of stroke survivors.J Neurol Sci. 2017; 381: 410-411
- Association between anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder and outcomes after ischemic stroke.Front Neurol. 2018; 9: 890
- The economic burden of stroke: a systematic review of cost of illness studies.J Med Life. 2021; 14: 606
- Changing health behaviors using financial incentives: a review from behavioral economics.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 1-9
- Exploring community-dwelling stroke survivors’ experiences of receiving a nurse-led theory-based stroke self-management programme: A qualitative study.Medicine (Baltimore). 2021; 100
- Evidence for stroke family caregiver and dyad interventions: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2836-2852
- Investigating the effects of a family-centered care program on stroke patients’ adherence to their therapeutic regimens.Contemp Nurse. 2014; 47: 88-96
- Why the uptake of eRehabilitation programs in stroke care is so difficult—a focus group study in the Netherlands.Implement Sci. 2018; 13: 1-11
- The expanded chronic care model.Hosp Q. 2003; 7: 73-82